Letter of Good Standing

Student7

Student7
  • Applicant

Hi,

Has anyone applied for transfer to an Ontario school who might be able to help me by telling me how they got their letters of good standing from your current dean to where it needs to go and clarify where exactly it needs to go. 

Thanks

johnny.rahmbo
  • Law Student

Just ask students services/deans office and they'll send it directly to OLSAS. Usually they are produced and sent out after the release of final grades because obviously they need to know that you are in fact, in good standing. 

For my old school (Windsor) we had to ask the Associate Dean but we did that by reaching out to their office - not them directly. 

AllRise
  • Law Student
53 minutes ago, johnny.rahmbo said:

Just ask students services/deans office and they'll send it directly to OLSAS. Usually they are produced and sent out after the release of final grades because obviously they need to know that you are in fact, in good standing. 

For my old school (Windsor) we had to ask the Associate Dean but we did that by reaching out to their office - not them directly. 

If you don't mind me asking, were you successful in transferring out of Windsor? If so, how were your grades when you transferred? Did you have many letters of recommendation (above the required two)? I am in the process of attempting a transfer and there isn't much information around. 

johnny.rahmbo
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, AllRise said:

If you don't mind me asking, were you successful in transferring out of Windsor? If so, how were your grades when you transferred? Did you have many letters of recommendation (above the required two)? I am in the process of attempting a transfer and there isn't much information around. 

Yes! I was successful. I had an A- average, which were all mostly 80s. For Oz and Queens), we only needed one letter of rec i believe and it had to be from a law professor who can comment on your abilities as a law student. So i would suggest getting one from a prof whose class you did well in. As for information on the process, its really quite similar to first-year applications, except less emphasis placed on undergrad and LSAT grades. That is not to say they dont look at those, but i know they're not as important because admissions offices will now have a full year of law school education on which to base their decision on. You'll need to also fill out your sketch and submit transcripts and everything - just as you did last year. Another difference was also in the personal statements. I noticed they were different and asked you to explain why you want to transfer, so start thinking of some good reasons aside from "i want to live closer to home" - unless you have compassionate reasons for that explanation. 

• Like 1