WUSTL vs Osgoode?

VitalGiraffe

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student

I have been accepted to Osgoode (and accepted that offer, provisionally), but I've just received an interview invite from WUSTL. I see their median starting salary is $165 000 USD, which is $203 000 CAD. This is significantly higher than Bay Street's $130 000 starting salary. Has anyone gone to an American school and worked in the US for a while? Is the extra money worth it? Has anyone done this and come back? What was that process like?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

There are dozens of threads on this topic my dude. I suggest reading through those and then coming back with specific questions.

If you're paying sticker or close to for a school outside the T-14 you're in for a world of hurt, even if you manage to land on Wall Street.

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer

You can work at a US firm from Osgoode, for way cheaper tuition. WUSTL is $50k USD a year, and have you been to St. Louis lol?

Keep in mind, that US legal salaries are bi-modal, which means that you are most likely either making $160k+ or less than half that starting out. 

• LOL 1

Kobe
  • Law Student

Guys it is way more likely OP gets a decent scholarship than it is they pay sticker. Anyways, I'd still likely choose Osgoode. As someone who made a similar choice, and we messaged a bit about this, it's hard to justify the risk going to the US when you have a Canadian offer. 

I'd guess you get somewhere between 100 and 130k. Which would make it comparable to Osgoode money wise depending on where you fall. I think it still makes more sense to go to Osgoode. A full scholarship would take more consideration.