Osgoode vs TRU

Bp123

Bp123
  • Applicant

Hi everyone I was accepted into both schools. I was planning on attending TRU but I just got accepted into Osgoode and am now contemplating what school to pick.

I currently live in Vancouver and ultimately would want to work in Vancouver. I have looked at the 2l recruiting numbers and while Osgoode places less students here I take that lightly as I assume many students participate in the Toronto recruit. 

Will I be hindering myself by attending Osgoode and wanting to work in Vancouver? 

Bp123
  • Applicant
11 minutes ago, Bp123 said:

Hi everyone I was accepted into both schools. I was planning on attending TRU but I just got accepted into Osgoode and am now contemplating what school to pick.

I currently live in Vancouver and ultimately would want to work in Vancouver. I have looked at the 2l recruiting numbers and while Osgoode places less students here I take that lightly as I assume many students participate in the Toronto recruit. 

Will I be hindering myself by attending Osgoode and wanting to work in Vancouver? 

I should add I am leaning at working in big law post grad

Osgoode if you like the name and want to away from home.

Both schools will get you into big law in Vancouver if your law school grades are good.

1 hour ago, Bp123 said:

I'd pick Osgoode. If big law is your goal pick the school with a proven track record of placing students in big law.

Also, and this is mostly antecdotal, but my partner works for a fairly big firm in Vancouver. They worked there before law school and are now summering there. They got into a variety of schools and were told, fairly directly, by their employer that should they attend TRU the firm would be less willing to hire them on for the summer. On the other hand the managing partners were estatic when my partner got into Osgoode. 

I know this is just one story from a stranger and people probably have hundreds of antecdotes that counter mine. But at the end of the day, fair or not, the name of the school tends to matter. Pick Osgoode.