Dal vs Ryerson vs Ottawa vs UAlberta

RC51

Hi everyone, please critique my personal rankings, hopefully I get Queens or Western and can weed out Ryerson entirely, but for now its what I have: 

Vancouver/Toronto Portability:

1. Dal

2. Ottawa

3. UA (Harder for Toronto market) 

4. Ryerson (No market outside of Toronto)

Toronto BL Prospects:

1. Ryerson (more students land BL, but probably more competitive?)

2. Ottawa (many students self select out of BL)

3. Dal (many students self select out of BL, really a toss up with Ryerson, Ottawa in terms of pure numbers.)

4. UA (no one comes to Toronto)

Vancouver BL Prospects:

1. Dal (apparently big alum network) 

2.Ottawa (about the same as Dal) 

3. UA (where do UA students go after they graduate? Don't see many them in most BL rankings)

4. Ryerson (probably a massive gap between ryerson and UA) 

Personal considerations:

Ryerson (Pros: have a place and support in Toronto $40K saved in terms of rent, located in BL market. Cons: New school, weak student body, no alum)

Dal (Pro: Easier to move to Vancouver, big scholarship, nice outdoors, good rep. Cons: I don't care to live in Halifax, don't care about any night life or bars which seems to be alot of people cite as a pro for the city, far from Toronto or Vancouver)

Alberta (Pro: cheap to live in Edmonton, good rep, but it seems like UA students rank very low UltraViries rankings. Are they all in O+G, or they just can't get BL? close to the mountains, cons: far from BL market, difficult to place in Toronto)

Ottawa (Average rep, good city, close to Toronto, good government opportunities, cons: average rep)

Edited by RC51

Toronto linkedin profiles analysis :

1. Ryerson (15 page directory on linkedin, but thats because everyone is here for school anyways)

2. Ottawa (23 pages on linkedin)

3. Dal (32 pages on linkedin)

4. UA (2 pages on linkedin)

Vancouver linkedin profiles:

1. Dal (apparently big alum network, 13 pages directory on linkedin) 

2.Ottawa (2 pages of folks on linkedin) 

3. UA (3 pages on linkedin) 

4. Ryerson (1 person on linkedin, plus that guy who is suing the School lol) 

NYC linkedin profiles

1. Dal (2 pages) 

2. UA (1 person) 

3. Ryerson 

4. Ottawa ( a few people)

Dal grads seems to be the most well connected nationally and globally, based on their spread on linkedin. 

Edited by RC51

1 hour ago, RC51 said:

Pros: [...] nice outdoors [...]  Cons: I don't care to live in Halifax, don't care about any night life or bars which seems to be alot of people cite as a pro for the city

Not to be pedantic, but is "nice outdoors" really a pro if you don't want to be in that city or do most of the things available in that city? 

15 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Not to be pedantic, but is "nice outdoors" really a pro if you don't want to be in that city or do most of the things available in that city? 

fair question...I just see Toronto as a superior city for my needs! But Halifax has better access to the outdoors. 

Easterner
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, RC51 said:

3. UA (where do UA students go after they graduate? Don't see many them in most BL rankings)

Alberta (Pro: cheap to live in Edmonton, good rep, but it seems like UA students rank very low UltraViries rankings. Are they all in O+G, or they just can't get BL? close to the mountains, cons: far from BL market, difficult to place in Toronto)

You realize Calgary exists... right?

4 minutes ago, Easterner said:

You realize Calgary exists... right?

I do....and Ucalgary doubles UA's recruitment numbers according to ultravires. Is there such a thing as Edmonton BL?

Easterner
  • Law Student

Ultra Vires does not assess numbers from either the Alberta 1L recruit, nor the Articling recruit for Alberta. 

There are two large firms (BJs/Dentons) who hire in 1L, 2L and Articling in Edmonton, as well as a large swath of regional firms that hire in Edmonton (typically 1L and Articling). Plus plenty of Calgary firms hire in 1L Recruit, 2L and Articling recruits. UofA students also may acquire jobs through these. 

As well, similar to your recognition that many in Ottawa self-select out of Toronto, that goes even more so for Alberta. Plenty of people just don't wish to move to Toronto or Vancouver. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Easterner said:

Ultra Vires does not assess numbers from either the Alberta 1L recruit, nor the Articling recruit for Alberta. 

There are two large firms (BJs/Dentons) who hire in 1L, 2L and Articling in Edmonton, as well as a large swath of regional firms that hire in Edmonton (typically 1L and Articling). Plus plenty of Calgary firms hire in 1L Recruit, 2L and Articling recruits. UofA students also may acquire jobs through these. 

As well, similar to your recognition that many in Ottawa self-select out of Toronto, that goes even more so for Alberta. Plenty of people just don't wish to move to Toronto or Vancouver. 

Thanks, this makes perfect sense.