1L Transcripts for 1L Summer Firm Jobs

Dogs

Dogs
  • Applicant

Do employers ask for 1L transcripts after they have given you a summer student position? 

For reference, most firms asked for interim 1L fall grades in their 1L summer student position applications. Some of the firms also mentioned that they don't weigh those grades heavily and that they assess based on other factors. I am not a great student so I am just wondering if the firm hired me based on my other attributes or if they had expectations that I may improve academically.

How often are students not called back for future summers or articles based on their grades? How likely are they to ask for 1L/2L/3L transcripts? If they ask for transcripts, how far into the summer do they request them? What are some repercussions of poor performance or even failing a class? 

Moodyfufu
  • Articling Student

I can't speak to the likelihood of being called back due to poor performance on your transcript. However, law firms do require your full transcripts for each summer you attend, as in Ontario, the LSO requires proof that you have completed your respective year prior to your summer. From my understanding of what I was told, firms are required to submit proof that you have completed your 1L year to continue your 1L summer, submitting 2L year for 2L summer, etc. In my experience, I was asked to submit my transcript within the first two weeks of starting my summer at a large firm.