Law School Specialties

LawFatality

LawFatality
  • Applicant

Hey y'all, 

Propsective student here who just decided to puruse law - traditionally each school has a certain type of law practice/ field that they are particularly known for. I could not necessarily find this information so I was wondering if anyone knew generally what kind of schools are a good choice for corporate, medical, and/ or family law. 

Thanks! 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
32 minutes ago, LawFatality said:

traditionally each school has a certain type of law practice/ field that they are particularly known for.

Not really. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
On 4/6/2022 at 12:18 PM, LawFatality said:

Hey y'all, 

Propsective student here who just decided to puruse law - traditionally each school has a certain type of law practice/ field that they are particularly known for. I could not necessarily find this information so I was wondering if anyone knew generally what kind of schools are a good choice for corporate, medical, and/ or family law. 

Thanks! 

. Generally  law schools are good at everything in Canada. However there are a few niche areas that certain schools specialize in and are really known for:

marine and ocean law: Dalhousie by far. 
indigenous law: Victoria (their JD/JID is the only one ever). Plus their new hub for indigenous law being built by next year. Osgoode, UBC are also worthy mentions 

IP law: don’t know much. But generally I’ve heard that UWO, Dal and Ottawa have the best programs. 
health law: Dal and Ottawa

environmental : very few schools have Good established environmental law programs. Every school has courses on environmental law. But some have few courses with no clinical opportunity whereas some have a lot more. 

But as I and other people have said - at the end of the day, a Canadian law school is a Canadian law school  

mjslava
  • Applicant
44 minutes ago, theroaringbadger said:

. Generally  law schools are good at everything in Canada. However there are a few niche areas that certain schools specialize in and are really known for:

marine and ocean law: Dalhousie by far. 
indigenous law: Victoria (their JD/JID is the only one ever). Plus their new hub for indigenous law being built by next year. Osgoode, UBC are also worthy mentions 

IP law: don’t know much. But generally I’ve heard that UWO, Dal and Ottawa have the best programs. 
health law: Dal and Ottawa

environmental : very few schools have Good established environmental law programs. Every school has courses on environmental law. But some have few courses with no clinical opportunity whereas some have a lot more. 

But as I and other people have said - at the end of the day, a Canadian law school is a Canadian law school  

From what I’ve heard, UVIC has a well established Environmental law program. 

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, mjslava said:

From what I’ve heard, UVIC has a well established Environmental law program. 

Yep. UVIC, Dal, Osgoode, UBC. 

LMP
  • Articling Student

I think the qualm I have with questions like this is the precise terms are unclear.

When we say speciality, what do we mean? Because most of the time I feel what's really being asked is "what school will best help me get a job in field x?". 

Which is a perfectly good question. But when we start talking more vaguely it becomes harder to answer. Are we talking about if a school has certian noteable professors? Biggest selection of courses? Clinics? A mixture? 

Whist
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, LMP said:

I think the qualm I have with questions like this is the precise terms are unclear.

One might even say it's void for uncertainty... 

• Angry 1

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
29 minutes ago, LMP said:

When we say speciality, what do we mean? Because most of the time I feel what's really being asked is "what school will best help me get a job in field x?". 

Which is a perfectly good question. But when we start talking more vaguely it becomes harder to answer. Are we talking about if a school has certian noteable professors? Biggest selection of courses? Clinics? A mixture? 

The way I think of it is combination of courses, research done regarding the topic, available library resources to it, profs plus clinics.