Queens vs UofC: Move Now or Wait?

GoldenRetrieved

GoldenRetrieved
  • Law School Admit

Hi there!

I know there is another Queens vs UofC thread but I was hoping I could get contributions specific to my context.

I have offers from Queens and the UofC and I am undecided.

I currently live in Calgary but would be interested in working in Toronto after graduating, mainly to live in a bigger and more 'exciting' city and I don't have significant commitments tying me to Calgary right now. Even though Kingston is smaller than Calgary, the goal would be to end up working in Toronto.

Would you recommend attending Queens to be better positioned to make Toronto-oriented connections, or staying in Calgary and trying to make the transition post-graduation, that is, if I'm still set on making the move at that time?

For extra context, I would likely be living on my own (away from family) in either case to be close enough to campus. I have a bursary offer from Queens but no scholarship/bursary offers from UofC just yet. Also, I am currently not decided on an area of practice but I am leaning towards corporate law.

Your input is appreciated!

Electricity
  • Law Student

Both schools are fine for corporate law. I’m sure plenty of Calgary graduates end up in Toronto, but unless you really hate the idea of living in a smaller town for three years, I’d say go to Queen’s. A very large share of students are from Toronto and most end up working there. 

Congrats on your offers and good luck. 

Edit: to give you a better idea, the Toronto recruit numbers for the last two years are attached here and here. Keep in mind, this is just the structured recruit. Plenty of other students find work in Toronto through other means. 

Edited by Electricity
  • Like 1

I think Queens is a better choice for you if money is not an issue. If you decide to do Calgary, you would always have that Calgary connection from being from there so no issue. If you want a Toronto job, it is harder for you to convince people you want to work there from Calgary than from Queens. 

• Like 1

rb_71
  • Law School Admit

I think Queens is the way to go for you since you're planning on living away from home regardless, want to move to Toronto eventually, and you have award money from Queens. 

• Like 1

GoldenRetrieved
  • Law School Admit
On 4/16/2022 at 4:30 PM, Electricity said:

Both schools are fine for corporate law. I’m sure plenty of Calgary graduates end up in Toronto, but unless you really hate the idea of living in a smaller town for three years, I’d say go to Queen’s. A very large share of students are from Toronto and most end up working there. 

Congrats on your offers and good luck. 

Edit: to give you a better idea, the Toronto recruit numbers for the last two years are attached here and here. Keep in mind, this is just the structured recruit. Plenty of other students find work in Toronto through other means. 

@ElectricityThank you very much! I would have absolutely no problem living in a smaller town for a bit. In fact, I think it would be a unique experience for three years. Also, thank you for sharing the Toronto recruit numbers 🙏

On 4/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, Ramesses said:

I think Queens is a better choice for you if money is not an issue. If you decide to do Calgary, you would always have that Calgary connection from being from there so no issue. If you want a Toronto job, it is harder for you to convince people you want to work there from Calgary than from Queens. 

@RamessesThat's a VERY good point, I hadn't considered that before.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:17 PM, rb_71 said:

I think Queens is the way to go for you since you're planning on living away from home regardless, want to move to Toronto eventually, and you have award money from Queens. 

@rb_71Yeahh I think deep down I was more interested in Queens, but I've been hesitant to let an offer to attend law school in my home city go.

Thank you all for your input!