Help Me Choose! (UBC vs UofC)

DojaKat

DojaKat
  • Law School Admit

A few weeks back, I made my choice to accept my UofC offer over UofA, but I recently got admitted into UBC, and I'm trying to weigh my options. I currently live and work in Calgary, so my support system is fully based in Calgary. I know I want to eventually do Biglaw in Calgary, but I feel like I'll be missing out on a big opportunity by not going to UBC. Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated!

Some things I'm considering:

- Prestige: UBC is ranked better than Calgary, but do rankings really matter for law?

- Opportunities: I want to work in Calgary Biglaw, but if I do decide to work elsewhere after school, what would my chances look like?

- Standard of Living: If I end up moving to Vancouver, I feel like I would struggle financially, emotionally, and mentally...but it's 🤩UBC🤩 (sarcasm)

From my outsider's perspective, I don't really see anything critical drawing you to UBC, whereas there is much more that ties you to Calgary. Especially since you said you feel like you might struggle.

If Biglaw in Calgary is your goal, UCal seems like a great option for networking and making local connections.

Renerik
  • Law Student

Dress for the job you want. You want to work in Calgary? Go to the law school based in Calgary. 

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

U of C is a no brainer for someone wanting to work at a big Calgary firm. Nobody cares about "rankings" wherever you're getting them from.  

rb_71
  • Law School Admit

It sounds like you have all the reasons to go to UCalgary and only the prestige is drawing you to UBC. If that's the case, I'd say go UofC!

mjslava
  • Applicant

From what I’ve gathered by reading what others have said on this forum, after you’ve been in your career for a few years, which law school you went to does not matter as much as you think it would. Going to UBC won’t necessarily keep your options any more open outside of Calgary than going to UofC.