Usask vs. Western

mud24

mud24
  • Law School Admit

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if I could get some advice in choosing between these two schools. I'm from Alberta. I am open to both working in Calgary and Toronto. I do want to get into BigLaw, hopefully getting into commercial real estate or municipal law. I'm also open to working for a local municipality. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by mud24

СлаваУкраїні
  • Law Student

I think the general wisdom is that USask would be the better choice for a career in Calgary, and Western would be the better choice for a career in Toronto. You said you were open to working in both, but is there one that you’re leaning toward?

Also, when you say you’re from Alberta, is it Calgary or near Calgary? Because that might affect the choice as well. If you’re already from the Calgary area, then you already have a connection that you could demonstrate to employers (meaning it would be easier for you to go to Western and come back to Calgary than it would for you to go to Toronto from USask. So overall Western might leave more doors open).

Edited by СлаваУкраїні

mud24
  • Law School Admit
19 minutes ago, СлаваУкраїні said:

I think the general wisdom is that USask would be the better choice for a career in Calgary, and Western would be the better choice for a career in Toronto. You said you were open to working in both, but is there one that you’re leaning toward?

Also, when you say you’re from Alberta, is it Calgary or near Calgary? Because that might affect the choice as well. If you’re already from the Calgary area, then you already have a connection that you could demonstrate to employers (meaning it would be easier for you to go to Western and come back to Calgary than it would for you to go to Toronto from USask. So overall Western might leave more doors open).

Thanks for the reply. I am from Edmonton (went to school here, worked here), but I would like to work in the Calgary area. Would this make it harder for me to work in Calgary since I'm not from there?

Edited by mud24

СлаваУкраїні
  • Law Student
51 minutes ago, mud24 said:

Thanks for the reply. I am from Edmonton (went to school here, worked here), but I would like to work in the Calgary area. Would this make it harder for me to work in Calgary since I'm not from there?

I honestly might have to defer to someone on the forum with more experience in recruiting on that. I will say that it’s not an all-or-nothing thing. Ultimately the goal would be to show a potential employer in an interview that you’re serious about relocating to Calgary. And again, it would likely only be an issue from Western, since USask grads already make up a significant chunk of those going to Calgary (just like showing a commitment to Toronto would likely only be an issue from USask, since going to Western would already signal an intent to relocate to Ontario/Toronto).

• Like 1