Probability of getting hired in NYC big law

whatever839

whatever839
  • Articling Student

As someone that is completing their articles in big law in Toronto, a lot of my friends are going to NYC big law after articles and my interest is definitely piqued. However, I didn't go to UofT and I know that's the main school that NYC firms recruit from. Does anyone know the odds of getting hired in NYC big law if you went to a Canadian law school that isn't UofT or Osgoode?

Geworfenheit
  • Law Student

You may reach out to Osgoode alumni who are currently practicing in New York. I went to an Osgoode New York recruit panel recently and one panelist said there have been a few Queens and Western students coming to them. It sounds like even if you did not go to UofT/Osgoode, they'll be happy to help pass on your materials provided you have good experience.

• Like 1

Panda
  • Lawyer
18 minutes ago, whatever839 said:

As someone that is completing their articles in big law in Toronto, a lot of my friends are going to NYC big law after articles and my interest is definitely piqued. However, I didn't go to UofT and I know that's the main school that NYC firms recruit from. Does anyone know the odds of getting hired in NYC big law if you went to a Canadian law school that isn't UofT or Osgoode?

It probably depends where you are articling right now? Are you at a large full-service firm? If so, I'd say relatively high. The attrition rate remains very very high at the largest firms from what little I can tell.