Articling with Legal Aid Manitoba

Legalkid

Legalkid
  • Articling Student

Hello,

I have managed to secure a legal aid Manitoba position at one of the criminal law centers. I am looking for any insight into what the experience is like. I am particularly interested in; what are the hours like (is it a standard 8hrs or more like a daily 10-12hrs) and how did you handle doing prep coursework alongside your day to day legal work?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You may have already started but thought I'd chime in. I didn't article with Legal Aid but a few of my friends did. Definitely not 8hr days at the criminal law centers. It seems mostly bail hearings and traffic court if you're in the city. Might also depend on which center you are at. Not unusual I think to get more serious trial work if you're up north. And from what I remember/saw, they squeezed in PREP/CPLED coursework where they could. I know at least one had to go do work on a day they were "off" for PREP/CPLED. It seems a rather difficult and grueling experience if you are not particularly a "go with the flow" type.  If you have more of a "I'll figure it out as I go and ask help when I need it" mentality, you'll probably have a better experience. But generally with Legal Aid, you'll be well ahead of your peers in terms of sheer experience - even more if you're up north. A few lawyers said you'd be doing work that most associates at firms would not touch until 2-3 years post-call.

Goodluck!

Edited by Nebula