cGPA vs B3

Futurelaw

Futurelaw
  • Applicant

Can someone please help me understand how to calculate my cGPA and B3. I just finished my third year and I am applying to law schools this November. So from what I understand, when I convert on the OLSAS scale I am at a 3.64 for my cGPA but I don't understand what my B3 would be. Would B3 be the same as my cgpa because I am applying with only three years or is it calculated differently?

I also used lawapplicants.ca, which a lot of former applicants recommended to calculate my cGPA and B3, but it gives me 3.64 as my cGPA and a 3.76 as my B3. So I'm just a little confused. If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

squirrel
  • Law Student

Did you take any summer courses? To my knowledge, only U of T (in Ontario) takes your B3 grades, and they don’t count summer courses.

If you took the basic 5 courses a semester for 3 years (fall & winter), then your cGPA and B3 will be the same.

The cGPA that lawapplicants calculated for me was the exact same as OLSAS, so yours is probably accurate as long as you inputted everything correctly.
Lawapplicants also gave me a much higher B3 than expected, and I’m 90% sure it was wrong lol (it came out to be significantly higher than my B2…) so I wouldn’t count on that number being accurate

Edited by squirrel
  • Like 1

Futurelaw
  • Applicant
35 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Did you take any summer courses? To my knowledge, only U of T (in Ontario) takes your B3 grades, and they don’t count summer courses.

If you took the basic 5 courses a semester for 3 years (fall & winter), then your cGPA and B3 will be the same.

The cGPA that lawapplicants calculated for me was the exact same as OLSAS, so yours is probably accurate as long as you inputted everything correctly.
Lawapplicants also gave me a much higher B3 than expected, and I’m 90% sure it was wrong lol (it came out to be significantly higher than my B2…) so I wouldn’t count on that number being accurate

Thank you for your help!! No I didn't take any summer courses. I am planning to apply to UofT so I was just curious about how they would calculate B3. Do you think with my cGPA, I would be able to get into UofT law? I am doing my LSAT this June and hoping I will do good on that, but I have heard that UofT places more emphasis on cGPA. 

aurora borealis
  • Law Student

I got into U of T this cycle with a 3.74 B3 (cGPA 3.66) which is pretty similar to yours, so it's definitely possible. It will likely depend on your LSAT score. (Also, I'd recommend writing the optional essay.)

• Like 1

Futurelaw
  • Applicant
16 minutes ago, aurora borealis said:

I got into U of T this cycle with a 3.74 B3 (cGPA 3.66) which is pretty similar to yours, so it's definitely possible. It will likely depend on your LSAT score. (Also, I'd recommend writing the optional essay.)

Thank you for the reassurance! Can I ask how long you studied for the LSAT and any tips/advice while studying? I am planning to do the June LSAT so do you think from now to the test date would be enough time for me to be prepared for it?

squirrel
  • Law Student
On 4/24/2022 at 1:22 AM, Futurelaw said:

Do you think with my cGPA, I would be able to get into UofT law? I am doing my LSAT this June and hoping I will do good on that, but I have heard that UofT places more emphasis on cGPA. 

People have gotten both rejected and accepted with a cGPA around yours, so it'll really depend on your LSAT and personal statement. Definitely do the optional statement and give yourself enough time to do multiple revisions. Honestly, it's not a bad idea to take a gap year (I'm loving mine so far) if you're looking to maximize your chances. 

I would first take a diagnostic to see if you might be ready for the June LSAT. If you start in the 160's, it's definitely possible to improve to high 160's+ depending on your dedication, but if you start in the 140/150's and your goal is to get 165+, I would just take the August one.

Message me if you want more specific LSAT tips after taking your diagnostic!