help me choose!! UCalgary vs UManitoba

rinse-repeat

rinse-repeat
  • Law Student

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some advice regarding making a decision between these schools. I'm from Manitoba and I have already deposited and made living arrangements in Calgary, but I just received an offer from Manitoba today and I'm already under a ton of pressure to stay here from my family. However, I've been really happy with what I have heard about Calgary and have already planned everything out toward going there so this is a very hard decision to make. Here are the factors:

- I would like to keep the option open to practice in MB

- Family, friends are in MB

- I don't have the most solid idea of what I want to do yet but I am interested in criminal law, possibly working for government (vague I know); I'm not sure what school will put me in the best position for getting those roles or if its mainly a matter of other factors (I know U of C has a somewhat corporate focus, would that be detrimental for me? Also have no idea what Manitoba's focus area is or if they have one)

- Would have to pay living expenses in Calgary, in Manitoba I'd live for free

- Not overly concerned about debt as I have savings and will cover the difference with gov't student aid and a bit of help from my parents; the main difference would be free housing & food if I stay in MB versus some financial help from family but otherwise paying my own way if I go to UofC. I will come out of LS with very very minimal debt if I stay in MB while going to Calgary I'll have a bit of debt (but not much)

- Would really like the independence and experience of living away from home as I am a K-JD who stayed home for undergrad. (I would love to hear advice from people who left behind home offers to go elsewhere and how that worked out for you)

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Edited by rinse-repeat

bocuma
  • Law Student

I would always encourage someone to go try something new. I've moved to totally different cities a few times and it's always been a great experience. You'll meet new people, try new things, gain some independence, etc. If you're a K-JD that stayed home for undergrad this is doubly true.

Going to UCalgary may put you at a very small disadvantage for Manitoba jobs, but it's not going to prevent you from working there by any means. Although some schools have strengths in certain areas those strengths aren't going to detract from other areas. UCalgary will not hurt your prospects of doing crim or government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1