TRU vs Ryerson

Notworthy

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

I actually just wonder what people think since these are the two newest Canadian law schools. Is there a preference for one over the other - does it depend on the job market and would the quality be ranked comparatively in your opinions? 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, Renerik said:

TRU vs *Toronto Metropolitan University

My bad 

1 minute ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

Do you want to work in Ontario or BC? 

Alberta but I haven’t gotten into either of the schools 

I know TRU places some grads in Calgary but I want to do Big Law which makes me think Ryerson is the better option? Also still waiting on Dal. Thank you for any and all opinions 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

My bad 

I know TRU places some grads in Calgary but I want to do Big Law which makes me think Ryerson is the better option? Also still waiting on Dal. Thank you for any and all opinions 

I know that there are quite a few students from Alberta at TRU. You can ask the admissions office to set you up with a “student ambassador” from Alberta. It might be worth getting an AB student’s opinion on how well they are faring in the Alberta job market. 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
7 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I know that there are quite a few students from Alberta at TRU. You can ask the admissions office to set you up with a “student ambassador” from Alberta. It might be worth getting an AB student’s opinion on how well they are faring in the Alberta job market. 

I talked to admissions they said 8 1Ls interviewed for Calgary firms last year and only 3 were placed. I want to transfer in the second year if I can so I’m wondering it would make a huge difference between the two? People say some iffy things about both which kind of throws me off. I would rather live in Toronto if I couldn’t come back to Alberta vs Kamloops because I have a support system and a life there - I just don’t want it to be the complete wrong call

Patient0L
  • Law Student
40 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

I talked to admissions they said 8 1Ls interviewed for Calgary firms last year and only 3 were placed. I want to transfer in the second year if I can so I’m wondering it would make a huge difference between the two? People say some iffy things about both which kind of throws me off. I would rather live in Toronto if I couldn’t come back to Alberta vs Kamloops because I have a support system and a life there - I just don’t want it to be the complete wrong call

3/8 1Ls doesn't sound too bad to me but someone else on this forum will probably know more about whether this is a good ratio.

However, it’s tough to judge based on a sample that size as the the rule of small numbers would apply…

Ha. I doubt many people stay in Kamloops! TRU is good for Vancouver but if you have no interest in that, then getting more info about Ryerson is probably a good idea!  

Edited by Patient0L

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

1L recruits arent really metric on how many graduates end up working in big law. 

A decent chunk of TRU students come from Alberta and end up back

I'm not going to comment in the validity of your tru concerns but I will say those concerns should be the same but higher for TMU

• Like 2

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

They are I have concerns for both in still hoping I slide into Dal in the next month 4.0/160 but since those two are all I have I’m a little torn

I have concerns for both I’m not sure if there’s a better of either I just know if I go to Toronto I’ll have a life / support system - closer proximity to Bay Street and if I go to TRU it has been around longer and closer to Alberta but I don’t know anyone and I know you can make friends and what not which is great but I like my friends haha 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

If your goal is Alberta, go to TRU. There will be more of your classmates aiming to work there and that itself is going to be a major benefit to you. 

One thing I will say about transfers, if you don't get into dal this year, don't plan on being able to transfer to it. I'm not sure about dal specifically but I know other schools have a transfer policy that you should have been able to be admitted the first time. It's not an absolute rule but keep that in mind. 

Also, you're going to make new friends regardless of school, so don't worry about that. 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

If your goal is Alberta, go to TRU. There will be more of your classmates aiming to work there and that itself is going to be a major benefit to you. 

One thing I will say about transfers, if you don't get into dal this year, don't plan on being able to transfer to it. I'm not sure about dal specifically but I know other schools have a transfer policy that you should have been able to be admitted the first time. It's not an absolute rule but keep that in mind. 

Also, you're going to make new friends regardless of school, so don't worry about that. 

I wasn’t going to transfer to Dal I was just going to pick Dal over my current two options - I also do have the stats to be admitted and I lived in Halifax for three years and both my letters were written by maritime residents. NOT saying I will for sure get in whatever happens is a blessing - I was planning if I go to TRU/Dal or Ryerson to transfer to UofC or UofA based on a home connection I also have admissible stats 4.0/160 I just wrote the last LSAT and my PS was not the best 

UofC and UofA allows transfer based on if compassionate ground and the ability to succeed have seen it happen multiple times. Dal also took a few transfers last year with no ties to the maritimes - I appreciate your info and your insight immensely but I have looked into transfers very thoroughly for the schools I want to go to.

That may be true for the schools you looked into but each has their own different policy on how transfers are assessed (I only looked into UofA, UofC and Dal) and know what to expect 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

As long as you do your research. Just remember transfers are an exception not a rule so make sure you are ok finishing your degree at any school you choose. 

I have to ask, why not the Alberta schools right from the start?

Ryerson has a lawschool?? I knew they have a articling repacement program but didn't realize they had a law school.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
16 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

As long as you do your research. Just remember transfers are an exception not a rule so make sure you are ok finishing your degree at any school you choose. 

I have to ask, why not the Alberta schools right from the start?

I didn’t get in! I’m waitlisted at UofA and got rejected from UofC I tried man that was the goal - Alberta clearly didn’t like me this round and I worked really hard to have those stats but it is what it is so I’m just trying to make the best of it so I can come home but I also don’t want to get stuck somewhere I don’t want to be

9 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Ryerson has a lawschool?? I knew they have a articling repacement program but didn't realize they had a law school.

It’s on the forum lol under Lincoln Alexander tap it’s only been open for two years it’s new 

Edited by Notworthy

Doot Universary
  • Law School Admit
38 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

I second this opinion. I’d go to Ryerson, well TMU now, if your goal was to practice in Ontario.

9 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Really? 

artsydork
  • Lawyer

Transfers are rare. Don't count on going to a law school just to transfer out after 1L. Schools might request your 1L grades, which is always a grab bag, or ask for references. 

Figure out where you want to practice and go to the school that either has better connections back, cheaper flights for interviews, or identify whether it's more important to have a closer support network. 

From my perspective, if you wanted to end up in Ontario, go to TMU. If you wanted Alberta, TRU. If you have no preference or idea where you want to end up, figure out whether it's more important to have a stronger social network (in which case, TMU) or, if you don't care, consider where you can minimize costs.

Edited by artsydork
  • Like 1

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
14 hours ago, Notworthy said:

My bad 

TRU places fine in Alberta. Current student and I know a number of grads in Calgary and Edmonton. The 1L recruit was tough this year but my understanding is it was tough across the board. Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently UofA placed less than they usually do because there were less jobs (number of friends there have mentioned this). 

If you want Ontario big law, go TMU. If you want western Canada, TRU. 

• Like 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, HarryCrane said:

The 1L recruit was tough this year but my understanding is it was tough across the board. Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently UofA placed less than they usually do because there were less jobs (number of friends there have mentioned this). 

My understanding is the exact opposite. I believe hiring #s are up across the board.

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
2 hours ago, CheeseToast said:

My understanding is the exact opposite. I believe hiring #s are up across the board.

Entirely possible. I really have no way of verifying it beyond I trust them. 

On 4/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, Doot Universary said:

I second this opinion. I’d go to Ryerson, well TMU now, if your goal was to practice in Ontario.

Really? 

Not sure what is there to be surprised about. Not all of us are keeping tabs on all the schools in the country.

• Like 2

Doot Universary
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, hiccups said:

Not sure what is there to be surprised about. Not all of us are keeping tabs on all the schools in the country.

Meh, fair enough. I’ve heard similar takes about Lakehead and TRU.