Ontario to California

justouthere

justouthere
  • Law Student

Has anyone transferred from Ontario to California as a lawyer? I will graduate with a Canadian JD degree and I am looking to practice law in California in the future. Has anyone does this or do they have any insight into doing this? Is it possible? 

Thanks!

artsydork
  • Lawyer

I know of a couple of former classmates that ended up in California. I believe one did the Ontario bar, NYC bar then California bar, and the other did NYC bar without Ontario. In any event, when in doubt, look at the actual Bar association page that you want to join!   Attorney Applicants to California Bar

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, justouthere said:

Has anyone transferred from Ontario to California as a lawyer? I will graduate with a Canadian JD degree and I am looking to practice law in California in the future. Has anyone does this or do they have any insight into doing this? Is it possible? 

Thanks!

Lots of people in a corporate-oriented practice at a large firm have made the move from Ontario to California. Over the past year or two it hasn't been very difficult at all to do so.

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer

I'm in California along with a large number of Canadian classmates - https://lawandstyle.ca/news/americas-largest-law-firms-are-siphoning-off-canadas-top-associates/

I haven't seen anyone go straight from law school, but all of us came from Bay St stints after getting called to the ON Bar. It was pretty uncommon as recently as two years ago, but I can name at least 20+ lawyers just off the top of my head now. 

justouthere
  • Law Student

Is there any other way to shift to California/ NYC outside of coming from a Bay St/BigLaw firm? Is anyone able to get me into touch with someone who has shifted? 
I would really appreciate it! Thank you all so much for the insights provided.

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer

I'm sure there's other ways but BigLaw is the most straightforward....what were you hoping to practice? What's your motivation for targeting California?