Tutor

Law_Hopeful

Law_Hopeful
  • Applicant

Thoughts on tutor? Scoring low 150s. If so any tutor recommendations? 

The usefulness of a tutor will depend on a confluence of factors not least of which is your optimum learning style (e.g. visual, auditory, etc.) and what your primary issues are. I’ve had students range from getting very little out of sessions to others who finally connect the lights to the electrical panel pretty much after a single session. Unfortunately, like so many other things in life the answer is it depends.  

One thing I would say is that it is pretty much universal that you’ll only reap the benefit of tutoring (or a course for that matter) if you jive well with your instructor’s style. Mastery of the LSAT is one thing, but it’s another thing entirely to be able to explain and dissect it for the benefit of others. How one approaches the exam might be the best way for some to learn from while simultaneously being less than suboptimal for others. So, if you decide to go the tutoring route do make sure you meet the individual you’ll be tutoring with before committing to a bunch of sessions. Most outfits will offer at least a 15-minute free consult to help you make sure it’s a good fit before buying a package.

In general I would say tutoring tends to be worthwhile if you already know the specific things that are tripping you up, but if you're not too sure and could only really point to questions you got incorrect, it'll probably just end up being a very expensive way to effectively review course / book material; in which case, you might as well have just taken a course! 

In terms of tutors here’s a list of outfits. I don’t necessarily endorse any, but you should know I work at one of those mentioned (believe it or not for fun!) so do take my post with the requisite grain of salt. Also, it’ll depend on if you’re looking for in person or if zoom will work (opens up a lot more options).

Smaller / Local outfits (in case you are in Toronto)

Tara’s LSAT

Harvard Ready

Larger Outfits

Manhattan (My favourite large company. Would recommend Noah if he’s still doing tutoring. Though pricey)

7Sage

Princeton Review

Others

Graeme from LSAT Hacks (in Montreal)

Hopefully others will chime in with their experience! Best of luck

Edited by AllanC

Patient0L
  • Law Student
58 minutes ago, AllanC said:

The usefulness of a tutor will depend on a confluence of factors not least of which is your optimum learning style (e.g. visual, auditory, etc.) and what your primary issues are. I’ve had students range from getting very little out of sessions to others who finally connect the lights to the electrical panel pretty much after a single session. Unfortunately, like so many other things in life the answer is it depends.  

One thing I would say is that it is pretty much universal that you’ll only reap the benefit of tutoring (or a course for that matter) if you jive well with your instructor’s style. Mastery of the LSAT is one thing, but it’s another thing entirely to be able to explain and dissect it for the benefit of others. How one approaches the exam might be the best way for some to learn from while simultaneously being less than suboptimal for others. So, if you decide to go the tutoring route do make sure you meet the individual you’ll be tutoring with before committing to a bunch of sessions. Most outfits will offer at least a 15-minute free consult to help you make sure it’s a good fit before buying a package.

In general I would say tutoring tends to be worthwhile if you already know the specific things that are tripping you up, but if you're not too sure and could only really point to questions you got incorrect, it'll probably just end up being a very expensive way to effectively review course / book material; in which case, you might as well have just taken a course! 

In terms of tutors here’s a list of outfits. I don’t necessarily endorse any, but you should know I work at one of those mentioned (believe it or not for fun!) so do take my post with the requisite grain of salt. Also, it’ll depend on if you’re looking for in person or if zoom will work (opens up a lot more options).

Smaller / Local outfits (in case you are in Toronto)

Tara’s LSAT

Harvard Ready

Larger Outfits

Manhattan (My favourite large company. Would recommend Noah if he’s still doing tutoring. Though pricey)

7Sage

Princeton Review

Others

Graeme from LSAT Hacks (in Montreal)

Hopefully others will chime in with their experience! Best of luck

Manhattan was the best but they got bought by Kaplan 😞

Philosophy
  • Law Student

7sage for me. You can go at your own pace and JY is a fantastic teacher!

• 2 weeks later...
existentialdread
  • Law Student

Hey OP. Late to this party but I am in Alberta and used a really great tutor who helped me break from low 150s to low 160s. If i end up re-writing, I will use her again. 

We just did lessons on zoom. She is expensive but I think worthwhile if you have identified areas that you yourself aren't able to self-study out of--for me it was primarily LG and she helped a lot. Just given how prohibitively expensive it is, I would recommend doing 7sage first and figuring out the areas where you are struggling to self improve so you have clear focus areas to use a tutor with. Some areas are definitely understandable and require a lot of practice whereas other areas you may have an actual understanding gap where a tutor can be a huge help. You still have to self study and practice a shit load without your tutor tho. 

• 1 year later...
kokocrunch
  • Applicant
On 5/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, existentialdread said:

Hey OP. Late to this party but I am in Alberta and used a really great tutor who helped me break from low 150s to low 160s. If i end up re-writing, I will use her again. 

We just did lessons on zoom. She is expensive but I think worthwhile if you have identified areas that you yourself aren't able to self-study out of--for me it was primarily LG and she helped a lot. Just given how prohibitively expensive it is, I would recommend doing 7sage first and figuring out the areas where you are struggling to self improve so you have clear focus areas to use a tutor with. Some areas are definitely understandable and require a lot of practice whereas other areas you may have an actual understanding gap where a tutor can be a huge help. You still have to self study and practice a shit load without your tutor tho. 

do you still happen to know the contact details of your tutor?