Advice for the Summer for someone who wants to apply in the future

Akabani

Akabani
  • Undergrad

Hello Friends,

I have finished my third year of undergrad, and will be starting my fourth year next year. I need some advice please. I am waiting to hear back from an internship interview. I interviewed at the City of Vaughan on April 27, was told I would hear back in 7-10 business days on May 3. Their policy is to let people who had an interview know about the outcome, successful or not.

Since I have waited a long time I am starting to get doubts about whether or not I will get the job. I want to ask you guys, what advice or recommendations ( other than LSAT or Summer Classes) do you have for someone wanting to apply to law school in the future. I am planning to take a two year gap between graduating and applying. I know the essays/ personal profile are an important thing, so I am hoping to find way to build that up if the job doesn't come through.

I am at U of T, so downtown Toronto right now for location.

Thank you guys

Ice
  • Law Student

I'll just give you little bits of advice, not necessarily for the summer:

1) Have a sense of what schools you'd be willing to go to and what they look for (Best two years, Last two years, CGPA, drops, no drops, etc).

2) If you have a hole in your application, whether it be a weak CGPA or an LSAT under 160, do your best to address it before you apply.

3) Stats are the most important. A strong personal statement can definitely push your over the hump and it's not worth neglecting, but nothing can really compensate for poor stats, especially with how competitive applicant pools have seemingly become. If your CGPA is low, the LSAT and your Last two years become all the more important

4) If you're taking a two year gap, make sure you talk about what you've done during that time in your personal statement, and spin it in such a way that highlights why it'll help you in law schools (skills you've learned, time management, etc).

5) Regarding the LSAT, I recommend going with 7sage as they have a great course and their analytics that allow you to see where you're missing questions is really great and helped me elevate my LSAT score over the 90th percentile. 

6) If you're doing EC's I think quality matters more than quantity. Don't just do random stuff like joining your law club for a year so you can say you kept yourself busy, ad coms know a resume filler when they see one. 

Good luck in your journey 

Edited by Ice
  • Thanks 1