Is taking pass/fail option on a course damaging for admissions?

Seansei

Seansei
  • Law Student

I am majoring in computer science and I have taken some very unnecessarily difficult theoretical courses, my grades in which do not reflect my academic performance otherwise. Since the beginning of the pandemic, my university began offering alternate grading options: if you passed, you can get a P on the transcript which will remove the numeric grade from GPA calculations; if you failed, you can do the same with an F or a VW (voluntary withdrawal after the fact). For one such course last semester that I got a 55 in, I took the P for the first time (to keep my overall average around 85%). This previous semester, I finished with the following grades (all fourth-year major courses): 70, 91, 92, 100. My average this term was 89.0, but with that 70 removed it would be a 94.3.

Considering the fact that I already have taken one 'P' on a course, would another look bad to law school admissions? I am leaning towards doing it this term, but I would consider any cautions against doing so.

Ital
  • Law School Admit
43 minutes ago, Seansei said:

I am majoring in computer science and I have taken some very unnecessarily difficult theoretical courses, my grades in which do not reflect my academic performance otherwise. Since the beginning of the pandemic, my university began offering alternate grading options: if you passed, you can get a P on the transcript which will remove the numeric grade from GPA calculations; if you failed, you can do the same with an F or a VW (voluntary withdrawal after the fact). For one such course last semester that I got a 55 in, I took the P for the first time (to keep my overall average around 85%). This previous semester, I finished with the following grades (all fourth-year major courses): 70, 91, 92, 100. My average this term was 89.0, but with that 70 removed it would be a 94.3.

Considering the fact that I already have taken one 'P' on a course, would another look bad to law school admissions? I am leaning towards doing it this term, but I would consider any cautions against doing so.

I believe the answer to your question is a function of which law school(s) you apply to. Several universities have issued statements regarding how pass/fail classes will be taken into consideration when calculating your law school average. For example, the University of Alberta is not including any numerical value for pass/fail grades issued in the Winter 2020 semester. These pass/fail grades will still contribute to the overall credit requirement when calculating your law school GPA, but will not hold a numerical weighting. It's probably best you consult the specific schools you are looking to apply to as it will vary.

3 minutes ago, Ital said:

I believe the answer to your question is a function of which law school(s) you apply to. Several universities have issued statements regarding how pass/fail classes will be taken into consideration when calculating your law school average. For example, the University of Alberta is not including any numerical value for pass/fail grades issued in the Winter 2020 semester. These pass/fail grades will still contribute to the overall credit requirement when calculating your law school GPA, but will not hold a numerical waiting. It's probably best you consult the specific schools you are looking to apply to as it will vary.

Here is the link for your reference: https://www.ualberta.ca/registrar/examinations/assessment-and-grading/grading-system-explained.html

Edited by Ital

BorisWilbertson
  • Law School Admit

For what it's worth - I got accepted to every law school I applied to (U of T, Queens, Western, U of C, U of A) with 3 P/F's (all P's) on my transcript and a 164 LSAT. Pretty sure most law schools don't care at all. I think the only place P/F's matter is in order to fulfill requirements of your chosen major (i.e., I couldn't P/F a course that was required to obtain my major), but that might be different at your institution. I'd say do it and save your GPA!

• Like 1