Competitive GPA for the Big Law Articling Positions

law

law
  • Law Student

I am just wondering how hard it is to get a Big Law articling position and what a competitive GPA would be? I struck out during the 2L recruit and my GPA has gone down around 0.08 points since, so I'm wondering if my dream of a position at a Bay street firm is still possible. I am interested in corporate/transactional, real estate, tax, and employment law. Thanks!

hundopee
  • Law Student

I can't add much to the discussion in terms of a competitive GPA but from what I've seen from my CSO, there doesn't seem to be a ton of big law articling positions for the 2023-2024 licensing cycle. There will still be quite a few qualified candidates who fell through the cracks during the 2L recruit who will be gunning for those positions, but ultimately how you gel with the team is probably going to have more an impact on you getting the job than what your GPA was. A B+ and above will likely still be seen as "competitive" for getting interviews, but the rest of your application material and how you seem in the interview will probably play a bigger factor in whether you are successful. 

• Like 1