Will a competitive third and fourth year GPA (3.9) make up for a mediocre first and second year gpa (2.7)?

Baxterz

Baxterz
  • Applicant

Hey everyone I was wondering if law schools will be more lenient on looking at cGPA if my GPA was vastly improved in my final two years of undergrad? I am looking to get into UBC specifically, but was also curious in general as well. My cGPA calculating all years is a 3.3, but I feel like my final years are a more accurate representation of my current abilities. Do schools factor in GPA improvements like this? Feel pretty confident I can score between 160-165 on the LSAT based on my results so far as well. Thank you!

Borat
  • Law Student

UBC does not look at grades from only your last two years or explicitly state they favour a pattern of improvement. They calculate your GPA by looking at all undergrad courses you've taken, minus the 12 lowest credits. Given your targeted LSAT score, you'll need a GPA that's at least in the mid to high-80s, but even then nothing is guaranteed given how competitive admissions was this year.   

Considering your situation (significantly higher GPA in last two years), you should consider applying for L2 schools like UofA, UofC, Western, Queens, etc. as well. A 3.9 GPA combined with a decent LSAT score would definitely be competitive at those schools. 

cjs
  • Law Student

Seconding the above comment.  Had some really bad grades from 15 years ago but L3 was 4.18/4.33 without drops and 163 LSAT.  Just got rejected from UBC.  Now, this is an n of 1, but I would at least consider applying to other schools that look at L2.  I would still apply to UBC but ensure your personal statement is on point and get your LSAT as high as possible.  Good luck!

Edited by cjs

km3
  • Law Student

Hi! I was in a similar position and just wanted to provide you with my experience this cycle! 🙂 

My cGPA was 3.3 and my L2 was 3.8

LSAT: 168

I was able to get into 4/5 schools I applied to! It definitely is possible, just put extra effort towards studying for your LSAT and personal statement. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to chat.