Told 2L Summer Boss Considering Applying to Other for Articling; Stated Might Let Me Go

JustHereNotStaying

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

I basically told my boss that the articling wage is abysmal and I will end up going into more debt working for him during articling. I tried to negotiate my articling salary, but he stated he will not budge on that. For that reason, I applied to other places and have interviews coming up. He stated he might have to let me go for exploring my options... 

For reference, smaller firm through Toronto OCI recruit.

What are my options if he tries to let me go?

Edited by JustHereNotStaying

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Nobody here can give you legal advice, so if you want that go speak to an employment lawyer. 

Practically speaking, there’s not likely to be anything worth pursuing if he lets you go. You’re a contract employee with no tenure in the position, and the cost of  making a claim along with the reputational harm would far outweigh whatever compensation for lost “abysmal” pay you might have.

In terms of life advice, the lesson is to learn to manage your relationships in a productive manner, rather than telling your boss you think your pay is abysmal.  Alternatively, you can say whatever you want so long as you’re ready to accept the natural consequences of your actions. 

• Like 1

Your option is to find another job, which you told him you were going to do anyway. 

It sounds like you tried to give your boss an ultimatum and he took you up on it. Time to go job hunting. 

Edit: general life advice, don’t tell your current employer you are looking for a new job until the new job is lined up or absolutely necessary (new job wants to speak to them).

Edited by Cool_name
  • Like 1

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

I don't know firsthand, but I have some sense that you might not be permitted by the law society to randomly interview for a different articling position when you already hold one. We can't give legal advice here, so I would recommend that you contact the LSO Licensing department to understand what you are and are not entitled to do going forward. They may also be able to advise on what your articling principal can and cannot do going forward.

BuckDancer
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, KOMODO said:

I don't know firsthand, but I have some sense that you might not be permitted by the law society to randomly interview for a different articling position when you already hold one. We can't give legal advice here, so I would recommend that you contact the LSO Licensing department to understand what you are and are not entitled to do going forward. They may also be able to advise on what your articling principal can and cannot do going forward.

OP is a 2L summer student. 

@JustHereNotStayingif you have accepted an offer to article with your current firm I would take the above recommendation and contact the law society. If you have not accepted an offer to article with the firm but there is a possibility that your 2L summer position may end prematurely, you may also want to contact the law society for some guidance on your situation.