FASHION SOS (she/her)

Patient0L

Patient0L
  • Law Student

I’m in a she/her FASHION CRISIS. I recently started a volunteer position in a legal clinic. This suddenly escalated into me shadowing a lawyer during client meetings. Details:

- The first meeting is on Wednesday.
- I’ve never worn business attire in my life
- I’m in Vancouver
- I’m 5’ 1”
- (I’m Gen-x so preferably some part of my outfit should be a cultural reference, but this is not mandatory)

Where do I start?

TIA

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Hmm, this could be a tough fashion line to straddle. In this case, I think a full suit would be too much. I'd suggest more "business casual" but on the more formal side, and pay attention to accessories to help dress up the look. 

Some examples would be: slacks in either a bootcut or straight leg, blouse/shirt, and blazer; skirt (pencil or slight A-line is probably ok), blouse, cardigan. Since you don't want the suit look, I wouldn't worry about the bottoms matching the blazer colour-wise. 

Budget-wise, focus on higher quality skirt/pants and less on the blouse/shirt or cardigan. You have a bit more allowance on colours, so I'd suggest getting the bottoms in a dark neutral (dark grey, navy, or black), a lighter coloured shirt, and then either go complementary neutral with a blazer, or a brighter colour with a cardigan, depending on what you're most comfortable with. 

Before I bought my first suits, I wore a dark plaid pencil skirt (colours were dark grey, burgundy, black), a deep green blouse, and a black blazer to an interview (not for a job, for something school-related). Nylons, shiny black pumps, small gold jewellery (earrings and necklace) and long hair pulled back into a chignon. It wasn't a suit, but still looked professional and polished. 

Hope that helps!

Oh, some stores/brands that might be of use in low-mid range budget: Loft, Anne Taylor, CK, RW & Co (I got a gorgeous blue faux-linen blazer there once), Banana Republic...for blouses or cardigans, you could check out H&M. If you're not sure what brands will fit or look good on you, go to a big department store with lots of different brands and enlist the help of a sales associate to help you find what you need. Ask for dark grey pants or pencil skirts (for example), and they'll bring you a variety of brands in your size to try. Then you once you know what fits/looks good, you can move on to the actual store, i.e. if most of Ann Taylor's pants fit you, head to the store as the selection will be larger.

Edited by OntheVerge
  • Thanks 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, OntheVerge said:

Hmm, this could be a tough fashion line to straddle. In this case, I think a full suit would be too much. I'd suggest more "business casual" but on the more formal side, and pay attention to accessories to help dress up the look. 

Some examples would be: slacks in either a bootcut or straight leg, blouse/shirt, and blazer; skirt (pencil or slight A-line is probably ok), blouse, cardigan. Since you don't want the suit look, I wouldn't worry about the bottoms matching the blazer colour-wise. 

Budget-wise, focus on higher quality skirt/pants and less on the blouse/shirt or cardigan. You have a bit more allowance on colours, so I'd suggest getting the bottoms in a dark neutral (dark grey, navy, or black), a lighter coloured shirt, and then either go complementary neutral with a blazer, or a brighter colour with a cardigan, depending on what you're most comfortable with. 

Before I bought my first suits, I wore a dark plaid pencil skirt (colours were dark grey, burgundy, black), a deep green blouse, and a black blazer to an interview (not for a job, for something school-related). Nylons, shiny black pumps, small gold jewellery (earrings and necklace) and long hair pulled back into a chignon. It wasn't a suit, but still looked professional and polished. 

Hope that helps!

Oh, some stores/brands that might be of use in low-mid range budget: Loft, Anne Taylor, CK, RW & Co (I got a gorgeous blue faux-linen blazer there once), Banana Republic...for blouses or cardigans, you could check out H&M. If you're not sure what brands will fit or look good on you, go to a big department store with lots of different brands and enlist the help of a sales associate to help you find what you need. Ask for dark grey pants or pencil skirts (for example), and they'll bring you a variety of brands in your size to try. Then you once you know what fits/looks good, you can move on to the actual store, i.e. if most of Ann Taylor's pants fit you, head to the store as the selection will be larger.

Thank you so much! I've had success with Banana Republic Blazers so maybe I will start there... I am curious if jogger style pant in a dressy-type fabric would be ok. 

Something like these:

https://www.simons.ca/fr/vetements-femme/pantalons/semi-etroits/le-pantalon-ballon-a-pinces--12562-207117

Obviously with a more conservative top.

... and if one doesn't do well in heels... some type of dressy loafer?

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

If those pants are flattering, try the look with a blazer. I'm just a bit hesitant for the following reasons: The pants will read as more "trendy" than the more conservative vibe in lots of law places.  Since you're volunteering, you can probably get away with it. The only other concern would be how the pants read with a blazer. Since the pants are baggy, and the fluid loose style blazers are in (i.e. any blazer at Aritzia) right now, the whole look might be a bit too loose and read as "sloppy". If you do a more fitted, classic style blazer, it might flare out right at the widest part of the pants, and with the tapered leg, make the silhouette a bit of an upside down triangle.  Straight-legged/bootcut/slight flared cuts are the go to "classic" silhouette because the slightly wider bottom of the pants balance out the hips, where the blazer/suit jacket typically ends, thus emphasizes that area. The tapered leg in those pants means won't have the same balancing effect. They are definitely cute pants but they might make your job harder when looking for coordinate pieces.

All that being said, the most important factor is what looks good on YOU. If the pants are flattering and they end up looking good with a blazer, then go for it! I'd try a fitted top, rather than a loose one, to add some structure. And maybe a shorter style, almost cropped blazer so it hits above the widest part of the pants. That might help balance the overall look. 

For shoes, yes, you can do dressy loafers. I tend to go with structured flats (as opposed to the flimsy ones) in case there's a lot of walking. If you get a narrow or pointed toe, go half a size up to help keep your toes from being squinched. 

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student

Thank you! I love this detailed advice. I’m going to try some straight leg pants. I’ve just gotten into joggers lately but I generally look best in tighter fit clothing. Because of my size, if I go with boot cut/flare pants I start to look like I’m drowning in fabric.

I’ve noticed a lot of really baggy loose blazers these days. I was wondering if they seemed a bit too sloppy. I guess the answer to that is if the pants are too loose, yes?

I’m stoked to have a reason to go shoe shopping. Most of my clothes are either athletic wear or vintage so this will be an adventure!