1L Exams?

ramoj

Hello,

Firm accepted Osgoode here. Few questions:

1. Are 1L exams open book? Ie you can bring summaries/notes in with you? 

2. For the first year "perspective course," how hard is it to get your choice? Of interest are the following: Transnational Mining & Local Rule of Law, Global Justice & Tax, Tax as Instrument of Social/Econ Policy, UN & State Building and finally, Wealth, Death, the Lawyer, etc. 

Thanks!

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

1. Depends on the course. In my first year, we had a few open-book, as in bring in anything that can help, one closed book (torts), and one or two that were modified open book, where you could bring in up to a certain amount of pages, like 1-4 pages of study notes. 

2. Everyone I know got into their first selection, but that doesn't mean everyone did. I don't think it's necessarily hard to get into the perspective option you want.

25 minutes ago, jomar said:

Hello,

2. For the first year "perspective course," how hard is it to get your choice? Of interest are the following: Transnational Mining & Local Rule of Law, Global Justice & Tax, Tax as Instrument of Social/Econ Policy, UN & State Building and finally, Wealth, Death, the Lawyer, etc. 

Thanks!

All my exams were open book in 1L. 

Getting your perspective can be hit or miss. But you'll get one of your top choices. Tangentially, wealth death and the lawyer was an excellent course and I'd highly reccomend it.

halamadrid
  • Law Student

I got my first choice for my perspective option by I know someone who got their 3rd choice. It really is hit or miss but I wouldn't stress about it. Whichever course you take probably won't have an effect on 2L or 3L, its just meant to introduce 1Ls to what seminar courses are like. 

• 1 month later...
astroworld
  • Applicant
On 6/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, jomar said:

Hello,

Thanks!

Where do you find the perspective course options?

StephenToast
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, astroworld said:

Where do you find the perspective course options?

You'll get a booklet in November

SNAILS
  • Law Student

All my Osgoode exams were open book. It seems to me that you'd get your first or second choice based on the prospective options you listed. (I picked totally different ones).