LLM Mandatory Internship

maplefeli

Hi all!

I am an international student (civil law undergrad and articling in Europe) starting the LLM Law and Technology this fall. The program includes a compulsory internship. Since the other classes I need/want to take are only offered in the winter term I am considering doing the internship in the fall.
Does it make sense to do an internship in the first term? Is it even allowed?
Do I need to have secured a placement before enrolling?
But most importantly: do I need to find an acceptable position all by myself before enrolling or will there be some guidance on what placements are acceptable for the class? Back at my previous uni the internship requirements were quite clear (any lawyer's office), this one only says "at a technology-focused government department or a technology corporation's in-house legal department" and I don't want to risk choosing a "wrong" company/department.

I sent an email to the faculty but did not yet receive an answer. I will follow-up in a few days but since enrolling date is coming closer I get kinda nervous about this.