When does Fall Semester Typically start?

CipherEvice

CipherEvice
  • Law Student

Hello,

I was wondering when Fall semesters typically start for law schools. Is there a small orientation the first week of September followed by classes starting, or are you expected to be there a week early/in late August for orientations/events/etc? Thanks!

I know a few Ontario schools start orientation in August. Classes seem to start around the usual time in September. 

• Like 1

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

I can only speak to Western specifically but my understanding is that this format/structure is close to the norm.

The first week is an orientation that is probably a blend of light, high level learning (think along the lines of a first year political science “the relationship between the court and government”type of thing) and socialization. For a period, Western even ran a pass/fail orientation class called Orientation to the Legal System or something. Your actual schedule won’t kick in until the following week.

I wasn’t aware of any schools that ran orientation in August. That’s news to me. Western’s orientation started the first day of school (so undergrads had day 1 of class and we had day 1 of orientation).

• Like 1

Ryn
  • Lawyer

Some schools start in late August. For example, Osgoode had their first year class start in late August in the past and, subject to any changes to their schedule due to COVID, they will likely continue that trend. Best thing to do is check the school's website. They'll probably have an important dates listing where it tells you when classes start, exams begin, semesters end, and when breaks are.

• Like 2

Dussy
  • Law Student

Queens is starting the day after Labour Day which was also the case last year.

• Like 1

JanLevinson
  • Law Student

Osgoode is starting August 26th (Orientation) and classes start August 30th.

• Like 1

LegalPerson
  • Law Student

UofT starts just after Labour Day for 2L and 3L, but two weeks before that for 1L because of Legal Methods

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

In the past, UBC had its orientation week on the last week of August. Classes start the following week.

• Like 1