Dal vs. UNB

DebbieDowner

DebbieDowner
  • Applicant

Hi everyone,

I know that there has been some comparisons of these 2 schools before, but I was hoping for some more recent feedback.

I guess my question is pretty to the point: Is Dalhousie worth the almost $20k more in tuition over UNB?

I am from the Atlantic region, but am unsure where I want to end up, although staying close to home for school would be the ideal. I'm also a mature student (30), so this is an early career change for me and $20k extra is definitely not a small amount of extra debt to take on. I will mostly be supporting myself on my LOC, and maybe the occasional familial support (not expecting much in terms of student loans as my partner's income is fairly high).

I understand that Dal has a better national reach, OCIs, and perhaps more opportunities generally speaking as it's a bigger school, so I guess I'm wondering if the return on the investment is worth it (especially at my age).

• 4 months later...
Pittielynn
  • Law Student

Honestly, the schools are quite similar. Nearly identical course load in 1L other than Dal's intensive courses. Where they differ most is in upper year courses. Dal appears to have a larger selection and it has a substantial Criminal Law faculty so there is a lot to pick from there. It also has several certificate programs. 

Personally, I never considered UNB because I am a mature student as well and I was uninterested in uprooting my home and family. Of course, that's more difficult if you don't live in NB or NS... I can tell you what it's like to live in either province if you're curious. 

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

If you're from Atlantic Canada, live in Atlantic Canada, and intend to live there for at least a few years post-call, neither school is really going to offer a "competitive edge" by virtue of the school itself. Outside major urban centres, finding work is more about connection to the community (e.g., grew up there, family in the area) and/or intent to stay than, say, being a top 10%'er in your class. You can expect a lower salary outside urban centres, so on a solely financial basis it doesn't make any sense to spend an extra $20k+ at a school that offers no advantage to getting you where you want to go. 

You also want to consider comparative cost of living in Halifax vs. Fredericton. Average rent in the former has been soaring the last few years with vacancy at an incredible low. 

It's too early to tell, but if you're aiming for a larger regional firms like McInnesCooper, StewMac, Cox&Palmer in Halifax, Dal would probably offer an advantage because it's closer to the firms and they participate in OCIs. But, these firms also have offices in Fredericton, Moncton, Charlottetown, St. John's, etc. and also participate in OCIs at UNB. 

I'm also yet to meet anyone/any firms that care if you went to one school or the other. Dal doesn't carry the prestige its students like to think it does. 

Good luck!