Reapplying/retaking the LSAT

UserRG13

UserRG13
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, I’m hoping to get a little advice on my situation.

I graduated from undergrad in 2020 and applied  but was rejected for the 2021 cycle. I have been working at a medium sized law firm as a legal assistant since last summer and right now I’m hoping to apply for the 2023 cycle. I’ve taken the LSAT twice (first time 163, second time 159), I had good ECs in undergrad but my GPA is on the lower end (OSLAC calculated 3.33). I will be applying to most schools on the east coast, plus Dalhousie, and UVic. 

My predicament is that I can’t decide if I should retake the LSAT for the third time. I am worried that if I score lower than 163 the downward trend won’t look good (I know they take the highest, but they will still see all the scores). I’m hoping that my work experience will boost my application, plus I will have a couple lawyers to write my references. I have been studying for the LSAT but I am a little rusty since I haven’t studied in a while, plus my full-time job takes away a lot of my study time. So my question is, should I retake it again? Would 163 be competitive enough for the 2023 cycle? 

• Like 1

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

I would retake the LSAT. If you were rejected with a 163, I don't see the justification for reapplying with the same score when you have the ability to rewrite. You should be doing whatever you can to make your application more competitive. Your work experience might help beef up your personal statement, sure, but I don't see that tipping the scales in your favour the way a higher LSAT score could. 

Damages
  • Lawyer

I would just apply broadly (e.g., TRU, Lakehead, Ryerson, USask, Manitoba, and UNB) rather than studying for the LSAT for the third time. Make sure you calculate your admission GPA using each school's unique method. You might be more competitive for some school than you thought.

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

I would try to up your gpa if you can / it’s feasible a 163 is a good score but your gpa is low. Apply to Ryerson best 20 school and for sure broadly but might be worth looking into the other side of your application and taking some more courses. (Unless your L2 is higher than a 3.3?)

Edited by Notworthy