uVic vs. Windsor

ellewoods2.0

ellewoods2.0
  • Law School Admit

Hi everyone, I just wanted some opinions/other perspectives!

I was recently accepted to both uVic and Windsor and am extremely grateful for both. I paid my deposit for uVic yesterday as I got their acceptance first, however, I don't mind foregoing the deposit if I would rather go somewhere else. As of right now I am mainly interested in corporate law with a secondary interest in social justice. In terms of moving, I am quite flexible so would not mind moving to BC. Should I consider Windsor? I think right now I am leaning towards uVic but would love to hear others' thoughts. 

I am also currently waitlisted at Western which is my first choice.

ellewoods2.0
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, Lilbb19 said:

Uvic is a no brainer here. 

Okay, that's what I was thinking as well but wanted to see if anyone else felt differently. Thanks!

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer

I strongly dislike UVic but would still advise you to come to UVic. It is cheaper and, for its smaller size, places well in corporate-law-type settings in OCIs, etc. Like all law schools really, you will also have as much social justice content as you want.

The one caveat I would put out there is that, without knowing much about the housing market in Windsor,  it’s likely to be a lot worse out here. Things are really rough for finding a place in the Victoria lately. It may be that the difference in tuition is enough to make up for the higher rents in Victoria, but sheer availability could be a source of stress that you’ll have to prepare for this summer!

Damages
  • Lawyer

uvic if you want to practice law in the Western provinces; windsor if you want to practice law in the eastern provinces.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

ellewoods2.0
  • Law School Admit
On 6/25/2022 at 12:50 PM, TheDevilIKnow said:

I strongly dislike UVic but would still advise you to come to UVic. It is cheaper and, for its smaller size, places well in corporate-law-type settings in OCIs, etc. Like all law schools really, you will also have as much social justice content as you want.

The one caveat I would put out there is that, without knowing much about the housing market in Windsor,  it’s likely to be a lot worse out here. Things are really rough for finding a place in the Victoria lately. It may be that the difference in tuition is enough to make up for the higher rents in Victoria, but sheer availability could be a source of stress that you’ll have to prepare for this summer!

If you don't mind me asking, what do you strongly dislike about uVic? Is it just the housing situation or do you dislike the school/program?

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
On 6/27/2022 at 12:02 PM, ellewoods2.0 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what do you strongly dislike about uVic? Is it just the housing situation or do you dislike the school/program?

I dislike the school and program, but I am definitely in the minority so don't make too much of that. The school is a very poor fit for me mostly due to personality characteristics. I knew that going in, but came here anyway because of family obligations. Most students seem to like UVic, with the exception of chronically inadequate course offerings. The housing situation is tough for everyone, though.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Whisk3yjack
  • Lawyer

As a Windsor student, I would have jumped at the opportunity to go to UVic instead. Very cheap rent is really the only advantage Windsor would have over UVic.

• 1 month later...

Anecdotal for sure but for some reason the most successful lawyers I’ve met were UWindsor grads. 

Go where you like. All Canadian law schools will give you to tools you need to go where you want to go with your career. Good for you on getting into law school. That’s the most important part. By far. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 8/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, NikM said:

Anecdotal for sure but for some reason the most successful lawyers I’ve met were UWindsor grads. 

Go where you like. All Canadian law schools will give you to tools you need to go where you want to go with your career. Good for you on getting into law school. That’s the most important part. By far. 

Do you work for Windsor? 

• LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
On 8/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, NikM said:

Did you meet all of them exclusively on Windsor's campus?

• LOL 2