JD Ready - worth it?

lawyerlatina

lawyerlatina
  • Law School Admit

JD ready is a prep course for law school. I am a first get student with absolutely no connections to anyone who has gone to law school. I have no idea what to expect and I am starting in just a few months. I want to make the absolute most that I can, and I was looking into this prep course that claims that can get you ready for law school. 

What do you think? do you think its worth it? 

How should I prep for law school? I know some people say to just chill but I cant do that with all of the nerves that I have! 

https://www.jdready.ca

Let me know!!! 

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

I have never heard of JDReady, so I can’t comment on the specifics of their “program”. That said, I’d say 95%+ (100%?) of incoming law students do not take any sort of prep course, and most of them go on to do just fine (and many excel!). I don’t think those that do struggle would have been saved by a 12 hour, $700 prep course.

There are a lot of posts here about what to do before law school once you’ve been admitted. Essentially, the answer is mostly “relax”. If you’re moving, consider getting some basic appointments out of the way while you’re still in a city you’re familiar with (doctor, dentist, etc). Read for fun, if that’s your kind of thing, because you might lose the taste for that during law school given how often you’ll be reading for class. Enjoy your summer the best you can. Relax, hang out with friends, travel if you want to and are able. Law school is a busy three years, don’t start it any earlier than you need to by signing up for a prep course, let alone one that, from the looks of it, is brand new and untested.

• Like 1

lawyerlatina
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, TobyFlenderson said:

I have never heard of JDReady, so I can’t comment on the specifics of their “program”. That said, I’d say 95%+ (100%?) of incoming law students do not take any sort of prep course, and most of them go on to do just fine (and many excel!). I don’t think those that do struggle would have been saved by a 12 hour, $700 prep course.

There are a lot of posts here about what to do before law school once you’ve been admitted. Essentially, the answer is mostly “relax”. If you’re moving, consider getting some basic appointments out of the way while you’re still in a city you’re familiar with (doctor, dentist, etc). Read for fun, if that’s your kind of thing, because you might lose the taste for that during law school given how often you’ll be reading for class. Enjoy your summer the best you can. Relax, hang out with friends, travel if you want to and are able. Law school is a busy three years, don’t start it any earlier than you need to by signing up for a prep course, let alone one that, from the looks of it, is brand new and untested.

Thank you so much for your insight, greatly appreciated!  🙂 

Byzantine
  • Law Student

Just finished 1L. I didn't take a course like this and don't know anyone who did. I looked through the syllabus and all this stuff was covered in class. Assuming your school is similar to mine, the school will offer lots of optional seminars that cover preparing for exams. So I don't think the course is worth the money. 

In terms of preparing for law school I think TobyFlenderson covered it well. I would add that getting your resume up to date is also helpful so you don't have to worry about it during the year. I read part of "Getting to Maybe" before law school and found it helpful. Once you start law school you'll want to learn more about creating outlines/CANs and writing good law exams. My school offered seminars on those topics. I did some research before starting law school on these topics but that didn't end up being too helpful and most of my learning about this came during the year. 

If you struggle with procrastination the summer would be a good time to do some reading on that. I read "The Willpower Instinct" and found it very helpful. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, lawyerlatina said:

JD ready is a prep course for law school. I am a first get student with absolutely no connections to anyone who has gone to law school. I have no idea what to expect and I am starting in just a few months. I want to make the absolute most that I can, and I was looking into this prep course that claims that can get you ready for law school. 

What do you think? do you think its worth it? 

How should I prep for law school? I know some people say to just chill but I cant do that with all of the nerves that I have! 

https://www.jdready.ca

Let me know!!! 

I can't speak to the program you mentioned but I did LSAC's "Law School Unmasked" and it was kind of a nice little intro to law school pedagogy--what a law school class looks like, how students approach studying, what people are referring to when they say xyz, etcetera. However, from the amount of content that was like "everyone has imposter syndrome!" or "everyone makes mistakes!" I almost think the course was aimed at talking down students' anxiety. It was totally free and worth a watch if you are nervous about what to expect this September. You could check out Lawhub or contact LSAC to see if the recordings are still available.

If they are charging $ for access post-course, I personally would hesitate to give LSAC even more money tho... 🥺

bocuma
  • Law Student

Not sure where you're going for school but some law schools have help-not-hurt midterms. So, you get the entire first term to figure out what you're doing, and you could in theory fail all of those midterm exams and still get A's in the course.

What this means is that you can afford to figure out how to study and make mistakes in the first term, then adjust your approach in the second term. You're almost certainly better off approaching things this way and saving $700 rather than doing a JD prep course that is too general to be useful, and that almost certainly won't raise your grades.

• Like 1

Tesseract
  • Law Student

Tbh all I see there is another group of guys that are fresh out of law school and that don’t wanna practice law for one reason or another. So instead they’ve decided to try and monetize law students, but here’s the kicker:

They don’t know the LSAT well enough to teach it, so they’ve come up with this instead. 

As someone previously mentioned, LSAC offers something similar to this for free. Skip this course, and beware of people trying to make money off of you as a law school hopeful/admit/student. 

• Like 3