How does lateraling work?

99problems

99problems
  • Lawyer

Currently, I am articling in a securities boutique. I would like to eventually lateral to bigger firms. I checked some of those firms' websites, and it seemed that the information regarding lateraling wasn't as abundant as it was about summering and articling. I am wondering how I can transition to another firm in the coming years. 

• 2 weeks later...
boyo
  • Law Student

Honestly I have no clue but I would imagine you could (outside of going to an independent recruiter) 1) find the "legal talent" person at the firms you're interested in and setup coffee chats to get your name out there. 2) I'd imagine you could setup coffee chats with associates working in the group you'd like to be in as another way to float your name.

• Like 2

Your law schools career office will keep sending you jobs and the cba always sends out jobs too. (At last my law school does and the cba in my province does). 

A recruiter is very helpful though. They basically do the search for you and it often means you don’t need to write a cover letter.

• Like 1

easttowest
  • Lawyer

There are many, many recruiters who would be happy to talk to you. Check the Careers section in the Ontario Reports. You can also check firm websites for postings. We have a corporate associate posting that I don’t think has been taken down since 2020. 

I will say that it’s easier to move after you have a bit of time under your belt after being called. 

• Like 1