Articling with a baby

Ahhhh

Ahhhh
  • Law Student

Did anyone start articling at a large Bay Street firm with a 0-12 month baby? If so, could you share your experience? What were the challenges?

Edited by Ohoh

Blurg
  • Lawyer

I didn’t article with a baby but I’ve had 2 while in practice, including currently having a newborn. I’m not sure if you have other children but I’m going to assume this is your first. The younger the baby is the harder it’s going to be. This also largely depends on if you’re the one giving birth, if you’re breastfeeding, and your childcare and support situation. I can offer my views if you’d like but it’ll change based on answers to those questions. 

StarryNightSky
  • Law Student

Just jumping off this topic, how does maternity leave work during the articling period? 

Would an articling student need to “make up” for the weeks off to fulfil the 10-month articling period?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, StarryNightSky said:

Just jumping off this topic, how does maternity leave work during the articling period? 

Would an articling student need to “make up” for the weeks off to fulfil the 10-month articling period?

In a usual year, the LSO requires you to article for at least ten months and take no more than 10 days off during that time. Every day you drop below that, you need to either apply to abridge your articles or make it up by articling for longer.

I’m not sure how likely the LSO is to grant an application to abridge articles on the basis of maternity leave (and I’m sure it depends in part on how much you wish to abridge them by). Family responsibilities are listed as an example of the accepted reasons for compassionate abridgement, but in my experience those tend to be more of the emergency variety than the “I planned for this and could have easily avoided it by shifting my articles”.

Also, your firm may be more or less understanding and supportive of you taking maternity leave during articling. I would bet most firms would lean to the less supportive side, particularly if you’re missing a substantial portion of your articles. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

Mountebank
  • Lawyer

OP, it may be helpful to clarify your circumstances somewhat to better focus responses. Particularly, are you or your spouse already expecting or just thinking about getting pregnant (if the latter, then there are probably compelling reasons to hold off)? Are you mom or dad (if the former, then you might avoid some irrelevant replies by specifying)?

crepetastic
On 6/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, Ohoh said:

Did anyone start articling at a large Bay Street firm with a 0-12 month baby? If so, could you share your experience? What were the challenges?

I had a colleague from law school that was warmly welcomed by her firm on the news of her pregnancy and I believe this individual articled with them while her child was very young. Generally, I think some firms can be quite understanding. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
On 6/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, Ohoh said:

They weren't very helpful when it came time to do work assignments and they didn't pull their weight. They didn't get hired back.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer

Someone at my large Bay Street firm became pregnant in the period between her 2L summer and articling.  She ended up deferring her articling term by one year.  She articled with a young baby and did well - she was hired back.  Much of this will depend on the firm. Some are more respectful of family obligations than others.  In general, however, I have found that the more senior you get, the easier it is to manage those obligations and control your own time.  Its easier to duck out early to attend to dinner/bed time as an associate than as an articling student.