Articling Recruit During 2L Summer Job

Thor

Thor
  • Law Student

I am currently working at a firm during my 2L summer; however, I am also participating in the articling recruit so I need to book vacation days to be able to do my interviews during the interview week. The interview dates are from August 8 to August 10 at 3pm.

How many interviews are done during the articling recruit? Can I get away with just taking August 8th off and having a single interview straight to an offer or will there be multiple interviews as was the case during OCI's?

Can't seem to find much information on this.

Edited by Thor

hundopee
  • Law Student

Out of curiosity, because I'm in the same boat as you, are you telling your 2L summer employer that you're applying and interviewing elsewhere? I'm not sure what to tell my firm as I'm still hoping to keep them as a back up in case the articling recruit doesn't go well for me.

Thor
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, hundopee said:

Out of curiosity, because I'm in the same boat as you, are you telling your 2L summer employer that you're applying and interviewing elsewhere? I'm not sure what to tell my firm as I'm still hoping to keep them as a back up in case the articling recruit doesn't go well for me.

I did not tell them that I am participating in the articling recruit and am honestly unsure if that is a good idea. I know they will make a formal offer to me at some point and when that happens it may be the time to tell them.

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

Read the LSO rules - if you get an offer you have to tell them. I’m not sure if you have to tell them if you received an offer for an interview. 

also, most employers know the date for the articling recruit. So they probably have an idea. I have no plan on staying at the firm I am at so I’m going to leave and then participate in the recruit. 

Edited by JustHereNotStaying

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, JustHereNotStaying said:

Read the LSO rules - if you get an offer you have to tell them. I’m not sure if you have to tell them if you received an offer for an interview. 

also, most employers know the date for the articling recruit. So they probably have an idea. I have no plan on staying at the firm I am at so I’m going to leave and then participate in the recruit. 

You're going to quit your summer job to participate in the articling recruit? 

I'm not telling my employers anything until I get an offer, and at that point my plan is to consult with my current firm to see if they will top it. I'd also feel comfortable taking an offer and then just declining the articling offer from my current firm whenever that comes up. I couldn't imagine walking in to my boss' office to tell him I got an interview lmao. 

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

I don’t plan on staying at the firm I am at right now - had a horrible experience. So I’m starting my “vacation” earlier. 

• Sad 1

Snails and Ales
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, JustHereNotStaying said:

I don’t plan on staying at the firm I am at right now - had a horrible experience. So I’m starting my “vacation” earlier. 

Username checks out I guess

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, JustHereNotStaying said:

without getting to personal/identifying, what made your experience so horrible? Just wondering. I also don't really want to go back to my firm, but that is for reasons beyond their control. I haven't really spoken to any peers who have many negative things to say about their summer firms. 

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, JustHereNotStaying said:

also, most employers know the date for the articling recruit. So they probably have an idea. 

Just confirming what notstaying said, my firm offered me articles the day before the Toronto application deadline. They are more than aware of the dates. Good luck! 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Just so everyone is on the right page about the LSO articling recruitment rules, which is a hobby horse of mine, the summary of the respective obligations are: 

1. You are not under any obligation to tell an employer about your decision to apply to other firms, any interviews you may get, etc. 
  2. You are not under any obligation to tell an employer or a prospective employer about any formal articling offer. 
  3. You are under an obligation to deal with any articling offer expeditiously, regardless of the set time period. 
  4. You are under an obligation to inform any firms with whom you have an outstanding articling offer or with whom you have an interview scheduled immediately upon accepting another articling offer. 
  5. You are under an obligation not to participate in any interviews, apply for articling positions, or accept any articling offers once you have accepted an offer.

Additionally, it is worth keeping in mind how early articling offers work with the recruit. In short, if your current employer offers you articles before the offer date for your city's articling recruit, they must leave that offer open for two days. Within those two days, you must inform your employer if you accept, decline, or wish to hold that offer. If you accept, rules 4 and 5 above apply. If you opt to hold the offer, the employer is required to hold that offer open until you: (i) inform them of a decision either way, or (ii) until the earliest date and time offers are allowed to close in your employer's city's articling recruit (i.e. the city in which your current employer is located. This year, that is 5 pm on: (i) 12 August in Toronto; (ii) 21 June in Ottawa; and (iii) 4 June anywhere else in Ontario. 

None of the above is legal or career advice. Read the LSO rules for yourself. Etc. Etc. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 3

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
21 hours ago, Thor said:

How many interviews are done during the articling recruit? Can I get away with just taking August 8th off and having a single interview straight to an offer or will there be multiple interviews as was the case during OCI's?

Many firms conduct multiple rounds of interviews. Those that only conduct one may still place yours on day 2. Take all 3 days off if you can.

I considered this last summer. Not because I didn't like my firm but because they wouldn't tell us whether they would hire us back till close to the end of our summer term.

I spoke to a few seniors lawyers outside my firm about it and they told me to keep two things in mind: 

1) Recruiters talk. Your firm will find out. 

2) Recruiters will ask why you are leaving your firm. You better have a really good reason that makes both you and your current firm look good. 

EDIT: I know this doesn't answer your question but some good advice I got so I thought I would pass it along

Edited by Ramesses

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

without getting to personal/identifying, what made your experience so horrible? Just wondering. I also don't really want to go back to my firm, but that is for reasons beyond their control. I haven't really spoken to any peers who have many negative things to say about their summer firms. 

Well I was pitched there was a work life balance and in reality there is 0. I had a death in the family and was working rather than grieving. It’s a legal aid mill that does not vet clients but takes on everyone. The pay  is under minimum wage. List goes on and on… 

regardless when I leave I am going to get yelled at for leaving and not wanting to continue with the firm. I’m was Threatened to be fired if I take interviews already. So I am in a lose lose situation and might just throw in my notice of termination Monday. My resume will regardless show I worked from April-Jul so not much someone can suspect. Plus got a RA position this summer I’m also doing so I will focus on that. 

I am not too worried about recruiters because it’s a small law firm. In non GTA city, nor is it where I want to practice and a field of law I won’t be pursuing in the near future now. 

Edited by JustHereNotStaying
  • Sad 1

Disbarred
  • Law Student

Good luck everyone. Our turn to find placements we’re happy with now 🙂