Are diagnosed mental health disorders justifiable reasons to apply as a special/access applicant?

Crisp505

Crisp505
  • Applicant

Was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when i was 12-13 years old and prescribed with medication at 18 and Illness anxiety disorder at 20 (which required a year and a half of therapy)

Taiko
  • Law Student

Suffering from a mental health related disability is as justifiable a reason as any to apply as an access applicant. However, your condition must rise to the level of disability, which from the sounds of it yours does.  Of course, you will need to provide adequate medical documentation verifying your diagnosis. You would also have to demonstrate in your application that with the proper supports in place you have the capacity to succeed in law school.

• 1 year later...
KaitlinRandall
  • Undergrad

Mental health disorders are valid reasons for special/access consideration. I dealt with anxiety myself and sought support. I remember when I first found out I had pica symptoms, I was frustrated. It's essential to acknowledge the impact on your life and reach out for support. Don't hesitate to highlight your experiences; they're a part of your journey. You're not alone, and seeking accommodations is a positive step. You've got this!

Edited by KaitlinRandall

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

This might be a bit of a crass way of expressing things, but I would note this: there is a significant difference between between mental health positive spaces and the "real world." 

I personally suffer from anxiety, but I have learned not to highlight this because while it is a part of my journey as a person, people can and will judge you for it. I am willing to bet that while law school admissions officers are far more understanding than hiring committees about mental health issues, they will still consider a disclosed mental health disorder to be a negative if there is no evidence of either management or improvement. Some conditions are also stigmatized more than others. For example, I know someone who wrote about having bipolar disorder in their PS and they underperformed despite having strong stats. 

However @KaitlinRandall I entirely agree with your sentiment. I just think that people have to be cautious about what they do and don't disclose. 

• Like 2