Chance me?

mehak.rocks

mehak.rocks

Hey guys,

Wanted to know my chances and potential LSAT score needed for Canadian Law Schools.

CGPA: Currently a 3.21 and expecting it to be around a 3.26 by the time I graduate.

L2: is currently a 3.63 and hoping to be a 3.67-3.7 by the time I graduate.

LSAT score: Hoping to take the LSAT in November and rn in PT’s I’m scoring around a 155. Do you guys know with my stats on what score I should aim for on the LSAT?

access category: I have ADHD and am hard of hearing so I would apply for the access category 

What schools do I have a shot in? 

Renerik
  • Law Student

You're asking two questions:

1. What score I should aim for on the LSAT?
Depends on the schools you want to apply at. Both your CGPA and L2 are low. You're going to want to score above the published LSAT averages for the schools you're interested in.

2. What schools do I have a shot in?
Given you don't have an LSAT score on file, no-one can answer this. If you scored similarly to how you're doing on your PTs now, you'd have a hard time getting into a Canadian school, even by applying through the discretionary category.

• Like 1

Piffle
  • Law Student

In addition to what was said above, I would also refer you to this comment on whether you have a valid access claim:

• Thanks 1

mehak.rocks

I’m definitely Candidate A in this scenario, because I have received the diagnosis in second year and my grades went way up. Like from having a 2.7 term gpa in first year to having a 3.85 term gpa in my last year

silverhoot
  • Law Student

I think your L2 alone is actually decent enough to give you a shot at some schools, especially if you have an explanation for your poor CPGA overall. But GPA is only 1/3 of the application: it would probably be pretty hard to stay competitive in your case without an LSAT score above 160, even if you apply through a discretionary category. If your GPA increased because of your diagnosis, wouldn't it be more difficult to justify a low LSAT score after that?

• Like 2

mehak.rocks

Yeah I agree. I just want an estimate. I personally want the mentality that I need to do the best I can, but knowing a rough score would show me that this when I should accept or redo the LSAT

silverhoot
  • Law Student

I do want to add that if you are genuinely interested in studying law, there's not too much to lose by trying to apply anyways. Maybe you'll score unexpectedly high on the LSATs, or maybe some schools will be more understanding of your circumstances - you never know!

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

You should be aiming to score as high on the LSAT as you can. Given your cGPA and L2, you should be working towards breaking into the 160s at a minimum. 

With your cGPA, L2 and hypothetical 155 LSAT score, I do not think you would be competitive in the access category at most schools. It's also important to keep in mind that most people score lower on the LSAT than they do on their practice tests. 

mehak.rocks

What’s considered competitive in the access category?

If I aim for a 165 and above, do you think I would be able to have a chance for some schools? Like TRU, Manitoba, USask?

pastmidnight
  • Law Student
41 minutes ago, mehak.rocks said:

What’s considered competitive in the access category?

If I aim for a 165 and above, do you think I would be able to have a chance for some schools? Like TRU, Manitoba, USask?

It's going to vary from applicant to applicant and from school to school. You have a lower cGPA and a pretty good L2, so you will want to score as high as you can to help demonstrate that your L2 and LSAT score is a better reflection of your academic capabilities than your cGPA. Breaking into the 160s at a minimum would help do that. 

You should be aiming to score as high as you can. 

• Like 1