July 3rd Deadline

bballergirl97

bballergirl97
  • Applicant

Hi all,

I’m hoping to find some answers around the Ontario July 1st auto-firm process! I was recently accepted to an Ontario Law School  (!!! which I am so happy about !!!) but I still haven’t heard back from my number one choice - uOttawa. The offer is valid until July 3rd so I’m wondering if I accept after July 1st aka July 2nd if that will avoid the automatic firm acceptance and my application will still be considered at uOttawa as opposed to being pulled.. despite accepting and paying the deposit elsewhere? Also, once I accept an offer after July 1st do I have the option to provisionally accept or only firm accept?  Either way, at this point, I will be accepting my current offer no matter the response but part of me hopes I still have a chance at uOttawa.

Dussy
  • Law Student

I believe that you will only have an option to firmly accept after July 1. So I guess if you wait until after July 1 to respond, your Ottawa application will still be considered until you accept on July 2 (which will be a firm acceptance).

LMP
  • Articling Student

Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, and you should verify this for yourself, but here's what I think is happening.

Right now you have an offer that you haven't responded to. You haven't provisionally accepted it or firmly accepted it. 

If you provisionally accept the offer, on July 1st it will go firm and you will be withdrawn from consideration at Ottawa.

If, however, you do nothing and simply leave the offer sitting there in OLSAS, nothing will happen on July 1st. Which gives you two more days to see if you get a response from Ottawa. This is because the July 1st date only impacts provisional acceptances.