Will Law Schools Only Look at First Semester of Fourth Year?

RB17

RB17
  • Applicant

Backstory: I am entering my 4th year this September and will be applying to various law schools across Canada in the fall. I have 9 courses remaining in my undergrad, meaning I can either take 4 first semester and 5 second or vice versa. The extra course would be a GPA-boosting elective. I plan to write my LSAT in August and potentially October, meaning I’d like to take the lighter course load in the first semester. However, my question is, since I would be forgoing the GPA booster, are there any schools that may potentially look at just my first semester grades, or would they only look at the whole fourth year? Is there even a benefit to trying to boost only my first semester GPA of fourth year? Hopefully, this made sense. Thanks, everyone!

Dussy
  • Law Student

It depends on your stats. If you have a competitive GPA already and do well on the LSAT, you may be accepted before you submit your second (or first semester) grades. However, if you are relying on your fourth year for your L2/B2 calculation, particularly for schools such as Queens (who are notoriously slow) and Western, they may wait until you submit those grades before making a decision.

Edit: I just reread your question, I think I initially misunderstood. I know Queens will only look at complete years to calculate B2. Ex: they will not use your last semester of second year, your entire third year, and first semester of fourth year for their calculation. However, submitting your first semester marks can still be valuable to the extent that it boosts your cGPA, as the majority of acceptances are sent out in the new year.

Edited by Dussy

RB17
  • Applicant

Understood, I guess it really is hard to quantify the value of that one extra elective compared to a lighter course-load while writing my second go at the LSAT in October. I appreciate your response; that does help in knowing that it would provide some sort of value during applications. Now I guess I need to sit down and see which option makes more sense. Thanks again!

Electricity
  • Law Student

Studying for the LSAT during the school year is tricky and requires good time management. Whether or not you'll be able to do both successfully depends in part on how close you are to your target score. If you still have a lot of work to do on the LSAT, take four classes during the fall and use the extra time to drill questions and take practice tests.

Most schools will consider grades from your first semester of fourth year before receiving your winter grades, but the effect one extra class will have in boosting your overall cGPA is basically negligible. 

Edited by Electricity