When and how did you use 'first choice' language in the interview process?

sunshinecoast

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student

For anyone who participated in any of the structured recruits, when/how did you tell a firm they were your 'top choice' (i.e. was it during your second interview, did you call the recruiter on day 2 or 3, did you send an email)? 

QMT20
  • Lawyer

I told my host at the firm that they were my first choice after my second interview. I recommend doing it in person if in firm interviews are in person this year. After the second interview also felt like the right time to do it. A lot of firms make their decisions in the evening after day 2 of interviews so it felt like that's when it has the most effect. The other firms that invited me for day 3 also gave offers even though I didn't first choice them, again because I think decisions were made there in the evening of day 2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

chilly
  • Law Student

After my third or fourth in-firm interview (day 3, around 2 pm?), I e-mailed the recruiter for a quick call and told them during the call. Might make more sense to give your first choice in person if in-firms are in person.

• Thanks 1