How holistic is holistic?

stressed2001

stressed2001

Hey all,

Apologies for what I imagine is a stupid question, I'm very new to all of this and I figured I'd ask here. Some of the schools I'm applying to (especially U of C, one of my preferred schools) talk about how they have no specific metric for how they weigh specific parts of applications, which stresses me out because I have almost no extracurriculars. I've been working as a receptionist for the past eight months, but outside of that my work/volunteering history might as well be non-existent. I have an overall GPA of 3.85 from U of C, and a 176 on the LSAT, but I'm extremely stressed that despite this my lack of soft factors will screw me over in the end. Am I right to be concerned or am I stressing out for nothing?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the trouble

• Like 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

You’ll be fine assuming you don’t do something horrendous with your personal statement. Those stats are exceptional and even if you don’t manage to get into U of C, you’ll almost surely get in elsewhere. 

In any event, you can start building those ECs up now. Find something you’re interested in and pluck away at it bit by bit.

• Like 1

stressed2001
1 hour ago, ZukoJD said:

You’ll be fine assuming you don’t do something horrendous with your personal statement. Those stats are exceptional and even if you don’t manage to get into U of C, you’ll almost surely get in elsewhere. 

In any event, you can start building those ECs up now. Find something you’re interested in and pluck away at it bit by bit.

Thank you very much for the info. I'm definitely going to be looking into more ECs to try and bump up my resume

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, stressed2001 said:

Thank you very much for the info. I'm definitely going to be looking into more ECs to try and bump up my resume

No problem! Feel free to PM me if you feel lost with the personal statement.

stressed2001
8 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

No problem! Feel free to PM me if you feel lost with the personal statement.

Will do! I'm getting all my stuff in order right now for that so thanks!

• Like 1

DM me, I got into Osgoode off of what I thought was to be quite holistic considerations. My GPA was 3.76 when I applied and after winter 2022 grades 3.78. LSAT however was 156. So I believe my application to be provided admissions based upon other holistic factors. Happy to chat about EC’s and how I framed them. 

Edited by jomar

4 hours ago, stressed2001 said:

Hey all,

Apologies for what I imagine is a stupid question, I'm very new to all of this and I figured I'd ask here. Some of the schools I'm applying to (especially U of C, one of my preferred schools) talk about how they have no specific metric for how they weigh specific parts of applications, which stresses me out because I have almost no extracurriculars. I've been working as a receptionist for the past eight months, but outside of that my work/volunteering history might as well be non-existent. I have an overall GPA of 3.85 from U of C, and a 176 on the LSAT, but I'm extremely stressed that despite this my lack of soft factors will screw me over in the end. Am I right to be concerned or am I stressing out for nothing?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the trouble

Let me get this straight

You have 176 LAST , 3.85 GPA and you are stress for lack of EC?

EC are not an issue for student with that kind of stats.

You should worry about deciding  which offer to accept.  

• Like 1

stressed2001
1 hour ago, jomar said:

DM me, I got into Osgoode off of what I thought was to be quite holistic considerations. My GPA was 3.76 when I applied and after winter 2022 grades 3.78. LSAT however was 156. So I believe my application to be provided admissions based upon other holistic factors. Happy to chat about EC’s and how I framed them. 

Thanks for the help! I haven't started writing my personal statements yet but I'm prepping to right now, I'll be sure to message you if I run into any snags/have any trouble!

1 hour ago, luckycharm said:

Let me get this straight

You have 176 LAST , 3.85 GPA and you are stress for lack of EC?

EC are not an issue for student with that kind of stats.

You should worry about deciding  which offer to accept.  

Gotcha, good to know that at least

Sorry again for a stupid question, I just don't know anybody who has done law school admissions so this has all been very confusing and stressful

I suspect that the vast majority of schools have a "presumptive admit" threshold for grades + LSAT, where barring any crazy issue in your personal statement or letter of recommendation, you will be admitted. Osgoode certainly had one when I was on the adcom and I don't think many schools will be different (perhaps Windsor and Lakehead in Ontario will be outliers here).

• Like 1

stressed2001
2 hours ago, Ryn said:

I suspect that the vast majority of schools have a "presumptive admit" threshold for grades + LSAT, where barring any crazy issue in your personal statement or letter of recommendation, you will be admitted. Osgoode certainly had one when I was on the adcom and I don't think many schools will be different (perhaps Windsor and Lakehead in Ontario will be outliers here).

Oh ok, I had no idea about this. Thank you very much for the info!

Conge
  • Lawyer
19 hours ago, stressed2001 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't bother at this point. Just relax and wait for the admissions letters.

18 hours ago, stressed2001 said:

Thanks for the help! I haven't started writing my personal statements yet but I'm prepping to right now, I'll be sure to message you if I run into any snags/have any trouble!

Gotcha, good to know that at least

Sorry again for a stupid question, I just don't know anybody who has done law school admissions so this has all been very confusing and stressful

Your question is not stupid. Spend some time to read the past "accepted" thread for the school you are interested in  and you will get a better idea how strong your stats are.

Enjoy your summer