First Day of Articling

GlennQuagmire

GlennQuagmire
  • Articling Student

I'm starting my articling term later this summer and was wondering for people who have finished their articles, what was your first day and first week like? 🙂 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Would probably help if you mentioned whether you're with a full service national firm, a small firm, government, etc. Not all articling experiences are created equal.

GlennQuagmire
  • Articling Student

Good point. I'm at a mid-size full service in Ontario, not in Toronto. However, I'd still like to hear a variety of different experiences from other types of firms.

Civil2Common
  • Lawyer

Coming to the end of articling (government). Was generally optimistic going in but I had mixed feelings with respect to articling entirely remotely.

The first week was a pleasant surprise. My colleagues had done a pretty great job in integrating remote work - especially in helping me feel welcomed and part of the group. I do remember thinking that understanding everything going on would be a challenge, but I nevertheless had a great first interaction with all my colleagues - and that certainly hasn't changed.

My advice? Go in with optimism and an open mind. I like to think a great attitude can make the overall experience that much better for everyone involved. 🙂

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 6/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, GlennQuagmire said:

Good point. I'm at a mid-size full service in Ontario, not in Toronto. However, I'd still like to hear a variety of different experiences from other types of firms.

I'm wrapping up my articles at a mid-size full-service firm in BC. My first week was mostly getting oriented with my office and the computer system. Some questions I had in week 1:

• Where does everyone sit?
  • Where do we store client files on the server? Do we use a file management software?
  • What software do we use for time entries?
  • What software do we use for tracking time?
  • Are there any log-ins I need for certain websites? (i.e., land title office, BC Online, CLE BC, etc.)
  • Where's the nearest coffee shop?
  • Which staff will I be working with the most?

In terms of legal work, it started slow. I was given some basic work that was mostly intended to familiarize me with various types of legal documents.

I spent some time shadowing people. I sat in on several real estate conveyances, client intakes, phone calls with opposing counsel. I was brought along on a 5 day BCSC trial and asked to take as detailed notes as possible, which I summarized at the end of each day and gave to the lawyer. The lawyer also had me do some on-the-fly legal research to support propositions he might want to make during the trial.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 1