Mistake in OCI Application in Upper Year Course Selection Doc

LawIsFine

LawIsFine
  • Applicant

I consider myself to be a fairly competitive applicant but I made a really stupid mistake in the upper year course selection document, I essentially included duplicate courses so I had the same course listed in different semesters. Just wondering if this will be a fatal error on my part for the application cycle?

QMT20
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, LawIsFine said:

I consider myself to be a fairly competitive applicant but I made a really stupid mistake in the upper year course selection document, I essentially included duplicate courses so I had the same course listed in different semesters. Just wondering if this will be a fatal error on my part for the application cycle?

I think you'll be fine. The people reviewing your application will just look at your upper year course selection to see what you're interested in. 

A much dumber mistake I made was submitting "Structuring Business Transactions" in my upper year course selection list to Lenczner. Made for an awkward moment during OCIs but that was about it. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, LawIsFine said:

Just read this thread.

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, LawIsFine said:

They might just assume you anticipate enjoying the course so much that you want to take it back to back! 

Just kidding. I think the general consensus here is that this is not that big of a deal. 

LawIsFine
  • Applicant
15 hours ago, QMT20 said:

I think you'll be fine. The people reviewing your application will just look at your upper year course selection to see what you're interested in. 

A much dumber mistake I made was submitting "Structuring Business Transactions" in my upper year course selection list to Lenczner. Made for an awkward moment during OCIs but that was about it. 

I did read this thread! I decided to make my own since the error in that one was so minor, I thought that having duplicate courses in the anticipated course list was a more significant mistake on my part. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer

Unless the reviewer knows something about your school’s course list they may well think it’s a two-part course. I can’t see this mattering. 

As an aside, it seems odd that a business-focused course would create an awkward moment with a litigation firm with many business clients. Lots of litigation comes out of transactions that go sideways! 

Jeepers97
  • Articling Student

Your fine - I have made multiple mistakes on my resume. Most of the time recruiters are going through 100s of resumes. Also think about how arbitrary it would be if a recruiter states “I’m not giving X a job because of this small mistake on their resume”. However, you live and learn - make sure you go over it next time.