humour me: cGPA 2.88, L2/B2 3.19 (pre-LSAT)

vdcpli

vdcpli
  • Undergrad

I'm thinking of taking the LSAT. I've always been interested in Law, but that big test is so scary so I never thought I could do it!

I'm down to apply to any and all schools. I know my stats are not the best, but I have a pretty good EC background and personal statement (disability student, first to attend uni in my family, personal life stuff that justifies my lower than desirable grades). 

I should also mention that I've switched programs, and I'm entering my 5th year of undergrad. Are program changes/taking a longer time super frowned upon?

Am I being delusional in thinking this is doable? What would you suggest?

Edited by vdcpli

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
10 minutes ago, vdcpli said:

I'm thinking of taking the LSAT. I've always been interested in Law, but that big test is so scary so I never thought I could do it!

I'm down to apply to any and all schools. I know my stats are not the best, but I have a pretty good EC background and personal statement (disability student, first to attend uni in my family, personal life stuff that justifies my lower than desirable grades). 

I should also mention that I've switched programs, and I'm entering my 5th year of undergrad. Are program changes/taking a longer time super frowned upon?

Am I being delusional in thinking this is doable? What would you suggest?

Anything doable, the L2 is on the lower end but your more than capable of pulling it off. Program changes aren’t frowned upon for most schools it’s a numbers game GPA/LSAT. For others (holistic approach) you can justify your changes it in the p.s. or discuss what let you to law. But changing your program, a fifth lap (which me and all my friends for the most part took) won’t prevent you from getting into law.

Edited by Notworthy

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

It's doable but difficult. Your personal background and extenuating circumstances matter, but you still need to convince law schools that you are capable of succeeding as a student. Since your GPA is relatively low, the LSAT is your best way of doing so. Based on past acceptance threads, I believe that a 163+ LSAT score coupled with a compelling application would give you a good shot. 

I'm entering my 5th year of undergrad. Are program changes/taking a longer time super frowned upon?

Not really. I've heard that applicants who studied part-time without working may have their transcript evaluated more negatively by adcoms, but I don't think that taking 5 years after changing programs should hurt you. 

• Like 1

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

You aren't delusional, but you will have a bit of an uphill battle like WiseGhost mentioned, as your GPA is lower. I would encourage you to:

1. Look into the access/discretionary category and see if you are eligible to apply in it. 
  2. Take a blind, diagnostic LSAT under timed conditions. The June 2007 test is available online for free. You will likely find that it isn't as bad as you think it's going to be. 
  3. Don't rush into applying for this application cycle. If possible, wait and apply next year. This will give you more time to study for the LSAT and the ability to take it during an earlier sitting, and will mean that your final year grades will be included in your GPA calculations. Get the absolute best grades you can for this final year. Even if it only brings your GPA calculations up a little bit, it will help your application. 
  4. You say that you are down to apply to any and all schools. If you truly feel that way, then you're good to go. If deep down you don't, you will need to decide how much you actually want this, because you will need to apply very broadly to maximize your chances, and it is possible if not likely that you don't get an offer in your preferred city/province/part of the country. 
  5. Once you have an LSAT score, poke around this forum to see where applicants with similar stats have had success. 

Good luck!