Microsoft Surface Pro 8 or MacBook Pro M2

ISJ55

ISJ55
  • Applicant

Hey all, 

I am starting law school this fall and I am really confused between the two above mentioned laptops in the title. 

If someone has already bought a laptop recently or does have knowledge about either of these, please share your thoughts. 

Thank you so much 🙂 

toro-nigiri
  • Applicant

Performance wise the M2 MBP will blow the Surface Pro out of the water. But one of the relatively few pros that the Surface has over the MacBook is Windows, if you're running anything that requires Windows instead of MacOS. The M1 and M2 chips won't be able to run Bootcamp.

scooter
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, toro-nigiri said:

The M1 and M2 chips won't be able to run Bootcamp.

If you need to run a windows application, you can do it on m1/m2 macbooks using Parallels. Costs about $100 for a lifetime license. Not a perfect substitute for bootcamp, but fine for most users.

Patient0L
  • Law Student

I just got the M2 Air. Specs are pretty much the same as the MBP M2 (minus a couple of ports). Highly recommend.

CBay
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, Patient0L said:

I just got the M2 Air. Specs are pretty much the same as the MBP M2 (minus a couple of ports). Highly recommend.

Although I have the Pro myself, I actually agree the M2 Air is the way to go here. For law school purposes, you will notice no difference in performance between the two. It's only once you max out the CPU and sustain that heavy usage over long periods where you will see the Pro do significantly better than the Air, and that's because the Air doesn't have a fan to keep the machine cool (Apple throttles the M2 in the Air in this case to keep temperatures down). But unless you're editing multiple 4K vids at once all night, this won't be an issue. The Air has a better display, bigger screen, better speakers, better camera, better ports (MagSafe), and is thinner and lighter. Factor in the difference in price between the two and its a no brainer. Don't forget to use the Apple education discount!