Unavailable during 2L Call day afternoon

thesamasaurus

thesamasaurus

How bad is it if I am unavailable on the afternoon of the 2L summer call day? I have a flight booked and I won't be able to answer calls in the afternoon. I was thinking of changing my voicemail to indicate I am specifically unavailable at this time and will return the call as soon as possible. Is this a serious problem, i.e could cost me an interview or seriously impact my chances?

Thanks

Jeepers97
  • Articling Student

That’s the main form of communication for interviews - people will leave voicemails in my experience, but just try to make yourself available. Better to be safe than sorry 

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

If you’re in the Toronto recruit, and if nothing has changed since last year, the calls for in-firms go out at 8 or 8:30 AM. I don’t think I know anyone who got calls after 10. You should be fine. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, 99problems said:

Can you divert the call to someone available to answer on your behalf?

Don't do this.

7 hours ago, thesamasaurus said:

How bad is it if I am unavailable on the afternoon of the 2L summer call day? I have a flight booked and I won't be able to answer calls in the afternoon. I was thinking of changing my voicemail to indicate I am specifically unavailable at this time and will return the call as soon as possible. Is this a serious problem, i.e could cost me an interview or seriously impact my chances?

Thanks

As noted, call day for booking interviews is largely over by mid-morning . For anyone calling after the fact, they can leave a voicemail and you can respond later. You run the risk of someone that has not given you an ITC deciding not to leave a message. But if a firm has given someone an ITC or left a candidate a message, the law society rules stipulate that they must offer that candidate an interview.

See: https://lso.ca/Becoming-Licensed/Lawyer-Licensing-Process/Articling-Candidates/Finding-a-Placement/2023-Toronto-Summer-Student-Recruitment-Procedures#c-general-procedures-7

If you're mostly applying to big law firms, they will all start calling at or right around 8 am and it will be over shortly after that.