Big Career Decision

ZukoJD

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

Hi, 

So I was asked to return next summer by my current firm. I have also submitted applications to the Toronto 2L recruit (to most of the big firms). I feel like I essentially have a week to make an absolutely massive career decision and currently either option seems viable. 

The firm I work at is a quickly expanding mid-sized firm outside the GTA. They give me a lot of responsibility and I feel like I've learned a ton this summer. They treat me fairly well and my only grievance has to do with organization/admin-things feel pretty chaotic at times and I don't enjoy administrative tasks, which comprise a not insignificant amount of my work. Ultimately, I could see myself carving out a niche in this region, which is where I grew up, and living a comfortable and enjoyable life.

On the other hand, part of me feels like I would regret not taking a chance at biglaw. There are certain avenues biglaw opens up that I will likely never have if I stay where I am, some of which I would be interested in down the line (in-house counsel role for example). I would also be making almost double as an associate on Bay Street and the lock-step increases are 4 times higher (5 vs 20k).

I understand that this is an incredibly personal decision and that it depends on what I want out of my life (not sure I've figured that out yet) but people here often provide very insightful input and I would appreciate that right now. 

Edited by ZukoJD
Wording

LMP
  • Articling Student

Try your luck in the recurit. It doesn't seem like the role you have is particularly unique and you could likely find a similar one if you strike out in the recurit.

But at the same time be careful of how you compare these two options. It seems right now that you're evaluating two hypothetical associate roles. While it is good to look long-term I think it is slightly premature to make a decision between two different career paths when you only have one temporary offer in hand.

The scope of the decision, both advantages and disadvantages should be far narrower with the long term impact of each role being only a factor in your choice. 

Edited by LMP
  • Thanks 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

I was in a similar situation, at the time I really regretted my decision because my articles fell through. Now I don't have any regrets, it happened, it made life tougher for a few months and I got through it. 

If I were to do it again, I absolutely would try my luck at OCIs. 

• Thanks 1

Turtles
  • Law Student

Is your summer employer bound by the LSO Rules? If so, they have to allow you to hold your offer until offer day if the 2L recruit and not coerce a positive/negative decision earlier, notwithstanding a 2 business day time limit to respond.

I was in a somewhat similar position -- 1L job I liked with return offer but not sure what my other options were -- so I held it. While there are potentially many options to lateral as an associate, you only get one 2L recruit, which is an opportunity to learn about and meet nearly every large Toronto firm.

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

My situation is pretty similar to @ZukoJD. I am following the motto "a bird in hand is better than two birds in the tree." I have an agreement to return to my summer position next year and for articling, and I took it.

This is of course a very personal choice. Yes, I could probably make more money elsewhere, but the geographic location of employment seals the deal for me.

• Like 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, SNAILS said:

My situation is pretty similar to @ZukoJD. I am following the motto "a bird in hand is better than two birds in the tree." I have an agreement to return to my summer position next year and for articling, and I took it.

This is of course a very personal choice. Yes, I could probably make more money elsewhere, but the geographic location of employment seals the deal for me.

I respect it. Congrats on locking in next summer and articles 🙂 

• Like 1