Print Estimate for LSO Study Materials Question

Dood

Anyone want to volunteer what they paid to have the bar materials printed? 

The estimates I’m getting here in the U.S. are quite high. E.g. $125 just to print and spiral bind the real estate index…all in it’s going to be pushing a grand or so it seems. Is that crazy talk or about right?

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

Yeah printing the materials is expensive. Keep in mind that you’ll be printing the materials themselves + indices if that’s your plan of attack, and the indices are not small either.

I chose to print the materials and have them hole punched for use in a binder, and then bound the indices. This was cheaper than having everything bound and I liked the visual distinction between indices and study materials.

Overall, I’m sure I spent at least $300, maybe as much as $400, per exam in printing/binding costs.

edit: re-reading your post I see that you’re well aware that the indices add additional, not insignificant costs. I’d say if that’s what your RE index costs, then yeah, $1000 is a realistic number.

• Like 1

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

Oh, and pro-tip, don’t print professional responsibility twice. Print once, read, highlight, and then photocopy. You can’t keep the materials, so you need a second copy, but it doesn’t make sense to go through and highlight twice.

The catch is that some photocopiers will detect the highlighter and default to colour copies. Try a black and white copy and see if the highlighted words are legible. That will save you considerable expense and still allow you to avoid two highlighter runs over the same material.

• Like 2

Bibimbap
  • Law Student

Can't remember exactly, but I think I spent around $300 - $400 total for barrister's and solicitor's together to print and bind. The print shop I went to charged $0.03 per double-sided page. That's about the best price you can hope for, and the price you should search out. 

• Like 1

The best I could do was around $500. 

The initial estimates were way higher as all of the UofT indices were being quoted as full color prints. This due to the green background running through some of the cells. Having the indices printed in greyscale cut the price in half.

Back in the day - you could just print a zillion pages in the law library for free. Ecosystems collapsing to support the printing of 140 page opinions that never even get picked up by the student.

I printed in bulk with around 40 of my cohort and we were charged around $100 each for everything print and bound.

• Thanks 1

Can't you go to a "self-service" print shop? I went to one and spent less than 150cad for the two exams--all the LSO materials, indexes, some charts and several coil bindings.

5 hours ago, mulderitsme said:

Can't you go to a "self-service" print shop? I went to one and spent less than 150cad for the two exams--all the LSO materials, indexes, some charts and several coil bindings.

I would, but I work full time as an attorney in a foreign country and am otherwise too lazy to do this in in my downtime.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...