if i reapply this upcoming cycle, should i retake the LSAT?

lawess

lawess
  • Law Student

hi everyone. i applied to several law schools for 2021 entry. i've heard back from a few schools but was contemplating reapplying this cycle. 

some background: i had to take the feb lsat instead of january, and i was told by several schools that this would severely hurt my chances of admission. some schools didn't even accept my feb lsat. i'm wondering, if i reapply this cycle as early as possible, would i need to retake the lsat? of course, i'd change my personal statements and would update my resume, etc., and i know it wouldn't hurt to retake the lsat and try to get a higher score, but would it look bad if i didn't? it's already july, i work full time and i worry about how much time i'd realistically have to study to increase my score for say, september. thanks!

Goblin King
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, kilgoretrout said:

if i reapply this cycle as early as possible, would i need to retake the lsat? 

LSAT scores are valid for 5 years, so no you wouldn't need to retake the LSAT. I also don't think it would look bad to use your old score. I doubt any adcom is really considering the recency of a given score if it's within the 5 year period. For reference, I applied in two separate years with the same LSAT. Best of luck with your decision.  

• Like 1

lawess
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, Goblin King said:

LSAT scores are valid for 5 years, so no you wouldn't need to retake the LSAT. I also don't think it would look bad to use your old score. I doubt any adcom is really considering the recency of a given score if it's within the 5 year period. For reference, I applied in two separate years with the same LSAT. Best of luck with your decision.  

so all you did was change the soft parts of your application? i've graduated and cant change my undergrad gpa.

Goblin King
  • Law Student
Just now, kilgoretrout said:

so all you did was change the soft parts of your application? i've graduated and cant change my undergrad gpa.

I don't think I was in the same position as you. I got into the law school I was interested in when I applied the first time, wasn't feeling up to going, and then applied this year. My softs didn't change dramatically, but my cGPA did go up as I was still in school. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kilgoretrout said:

hi everyone. i applied to several law schools for 2021 entry. i've heard back from a few schools but was contemplating reapplying this cycle. 

some background: i had to take the feb lsat instead of january, and i was told by several schools that this would severely hurt my chances of admission. some schools didn't even accept my feb lsat. i'm wondering, if i reapply this cycle as early as possible, would i need to retake the lsat? of course, i'd change my personal statements and would update my resume, etc., and i know it wouldn't hurt to retake the lsat and try to get a higher score, but would it look bad if i didn't? it's already july, i work full time and i worry about how much time i'd realistically have to study to increase my score for say, september. thanks!

Your stats is  3.3 GPA, 163 LSAT

What are your L2 and B2 ?

58 minutes ago, kilgoretrout said:

Refine your personal statement. If you do more volunteer activities in the meantime, you can add that to your sketch. You may want to call Osgoode in the fall and ask for their comments on your file. The officers may provide you with one or two thoughts about what may increase your chances.

Futurelawyer123

Does Osgoode care how many times you write the LSAT? I have a good GPA but lower LSAT and may have to re write the test. 

rjs
  • Law School Admit

Not to piggyback on the thread but how would one go about reapplying for the next cycle on OLSAS?

1 hour ago, Futurelawyer123 said:

Does Osgoode care how many times you write the LSAT? I have a good GPA but lower LSAT and may have to re write the test. 

I don't think they care. your GPA is very competitive if it is OLSAS basis.

Are you wait listed anywhere else besides OZ?

Futurelawyer123
5 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

I don't think they care. your GPA is very competitive if it is OLSAS basis.

Are you wait listed anywhere else besides OZ?

No just Oz. My gpa is based on OLSAS. 

Edited by Futurelawyer123

1 hour ago, Futurelawyer123 said:

No just Oz. My gpa is based on OLSAS. 

You need 162+ to be safe.

156 is a bit low but this cycle is not over yet. I have seen lower LSAT being accepted.

Futurelawyer123
8 hours ago, luckycharm said:

156 is a bit low but this cycle is not over yet. I have seen lower LSAT being accepted.

Thanks, guess I will start studying again. 

26 minutes ago, Futurelawyer123 said:

Thanks, guess I will start studying again. 

Why didn't you apply to other schools?

Consider hiring a private tutor in Sept

Edited by luckycharm

historicaladvantage
On 6/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, kilgoretrout said:

Unless your score is particularly low, there wouldn't be a need to retake the LSAT, no. 

On 6/30/2021 at 12:06 AM, luckycharm said:

There were plenty of people with a 162 who didn't get into Osgoode though, weren't there? My viewpoint on Osgoode is that they are unpredictable, especially after last cycle. 

On 6/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, Ryn said:

Refine your personal statement. If you do more volunteer activities in the meantime, you can add that to your sketch. You may want to call Osgoode in the fall and ask for their comments on your file. The officers may provide you with one or two thoughts about what may increase your chances.

I didn't realize officers responded to applicant inquiries! Wow. This is good to know. Have you heard about this happening personally in the past? 

Ryn
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, historicaladvantage said:

I didn't realize officers responded to applicant inquiries! Wow. This is good to know. Have you heard about this happening personally in the past? 

Well Osgoode has the policy of commenting on applications once the cycle has wrapped. I can't speak for other schools. I also don't know what they tell people, but I assume it will be somewhat helpful.

• Like 1

Futurelawyer123
1 hour ago, Ryn said:

Well Osgoode has the policy of commenting on applications once the cycle has wrapped. I can't speak for other schools. I also don't know what they tell people, but I assume it will be somewhat helpful.

At Queens they said they don’t provide individual feedback. I believe someone mentioned that on the old forum. 

• Thanks 1