Advice for when to take LSAT for upcoming cycle

Deleted User

Deleted User
  • Applicant

Hi everyone! I am hoping you could provide me with some insight/what my options are. I have listed my GPA information below based on the GPA calculator. I am looking to apply for this upcoming cycle, and I would really like to attend for Sept 2023. I do not have a school in mind, however something in Ontario would be ideal since that is my home province.

Cumulative GPA (CGPA): 3.84

Last two years (L2): 3.85

Last three years (L3): 3.84

Best two years (B2): 3.87

Best three years (B3): 3.84

Background information on me as an applicant:

Current in 4th year study, expected to graduate in April 2023. 29 year old white male. Worked after high school and attended university in 2020. I have been maxing out my credits to accelerate my graduation, meaning 5.5/20 credits are Spring/Summer courses. I have been working full-time for the same company throughout all of school thus far.

Concerns surrounding application and LSAT:

I have not taken my LSAT yet, and I know all Ontario universities have a deadline for Nov 1. I know I am not ready to take the LSAT in October. I've only written 1 practice test and scored a 150 back in July. I haven't had time to practice/study due to work, I am at the point where I think I may need to quit my job (I am first in seniority for my role and have worked here for 7+ years so it's a difficult decision). Financially it will be difficult, but doable. If I hand in my two week notice this weekend, I believe I may have a decent chance at the November and January LSAT (Please put me in my place if you do not think this is enough time to get me to a decent score).

Main question: Do I need to take the October LSAT to get my applications in on-time, and will scoring poorly hurt my chances?

Edited by Deleted User

Patient0L
  • Law Student

Most schools say that although they use your highest score, they still take into consideration all scores—so yes scoring poorly can hurt you. I wouldn’t take the test before your practice scores are where you need them to be. A poor score would be a waste of an attempt and would definitely not help you in any way.

Everyone is different, but if it were me and I hadn't even started studying for the LSAT late August + was taking a full course load + working + didn’t have any application materials in some kind of draft form, I would plan for applying for the 2023/2024 cycle. Definitely don’t sacrifice your GPA for the LSAT.

aurora borealis
  • Law Student

I also recommend considering a gap year. I studied for the LSAT while working full time and it was doable, but I can't imagine working full time, studying full-time, and trying to study for the LSAT all at once. A 150 score will probably get you rejected from everywhere and if you haven't studied since then you probably won't be able to do much better.

You don't need to have a score on file to apply. When you apply you indicate when you're taking the LSAT and OLSAS will request your score.

halamadrid
  • Law Student

Take a gap year to work on the LSAT. Not only for that, but it could be good for you to take a break from school and get further work experience, which will only help you when making a personal statement. I took a gap year before law school, and believe me when I say this, I entered law school refreshed. Had I gone straight to law school I think I would've burned out fairly quickly because it is a big learning curve compared to undergrad. However, this was my experience so take that as you will. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Patient0L said:

Most schools say that although they use your highest score, they still take into consideration all scores—so yes scoring poorly can hurt you.

Most schools say the exact opposite. I actually don’t think a single Ontario law school considers anything but your top LSAT score, and even outside of the province most schools only consider your best score. 

I actually thought that once the outlier Alberta school changed its criteria to consider only the top score every Canadian school only looks at the highest score, but I’m not confident enough in that knowledge to state that outright. 

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Most schools say the exact opposite. I actually don’t think a single Ontario law school considers anything but your top LSAT score, and even outside of the province most schools only consider your best score. 

I actually thought that once the outlier Alberta school changed its criteria to consider only the top score every Canadian school only looks at the highest score, but I’m not confident enough in that knowledge to state that outright. 

At least last time I checked they said they take the highest but they do “look” at them all… Whatever that means. I’m assuming they calculate index score with the highest, but, something like successive low attempts with no improvement wouldn’t be unnoticed… and maybe would be taken into account in a borderline situation. Who knows!?

Regardless, having a low score on file for the sake of having one at all isn’t going to help anyone’s chances.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Who knows!?

Me, and also anyone who has read the website of any Ontario law school in the past decade. 

Most if not all Ontario law schools, and most if not all law schools in Canada, only consider your highest LSAT score. 

Stop giving bad advice to people who are uninformed enough to believe it. 

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Me, and also anyone who has read the website of any Ontario law school in the past decade. 

Most if not all Ontario law schools, and most if not all law schools in Canada, only consider your highest LSAT score. 

Stop giving bad advice to people who are uninformed enough to believe it. 

There are other schools outside of Ontario… and I’ve spoken to admissions directly about this stuff. I’m not making it up.

Yogurt Baron
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

This is my understanding as well.

I'm not going to get too deep into the weeds helping out "Deleted User", unless...wait, is that just this person's username?...but I will say that it's as simple as putting together the best application you can put together, shooting your shot, and then going home. The "well, my cousin has a buddy who says some schools consider an upward trend, so please worry about that now also" applicants-feeding-each-others'-anxiety-loop has never actually helped anyone.

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I went ahead and checked. Of the 18 Canadian common law schools, 13 of them explicitly state the highest score is the one considered. So while I was wrong that there are no (Ontario or Canadian) schools that consider multiple attempts, it is definitely wrong to say “most” schools consider them. The vast majority only consider the highest score. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student

I took the November and January LSATs in my cycle. I do not recommend it. If you sign up for the January LSAT, then most schools will instantly table your application and will not look at it until they see your January score, which will come out in February. By that point a lot of offers have gone out. I agree with everyone else here, apply next year.

You seem like a smart guy getting a strong GPA in an accelerated capacity while juggling a demanding job. Don't short change yourself with a shitty LSAT after doing so well in everything else.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I went ahead and checked. Of the 18 Canadian common law schools, 13 of them explicitly state

You realize it’s Saturday night?

Moms_Spaghetti
  • Law Student

Don't let other people's LSAT/application experiences and assumptions rule your own experience and assumptions. Most of us that have been admitted have multiple scores on file (if you're certain a score might affect you negatively, you have a cancellation option within a limited time frame). If you're not ready by October, you're just not ready and thats fine. Focus on studying and being confident in your own ability - even if that means a gap year in between. After all, being 29, 30, or 31 when you start law school is nothing in the grand scheme of things. The LSAT is a beast that caters to no particular skill set, anyone who says it can be conquered with no studying is simply wrong. 

Edited by Moms_Spaghetti