Chances? CGPA: 3.41/4.3, L2/B2: 3.69/4.3, LSAT: 142, 162

CMacK

CMacK
  • Applicant

I’m applying to Dalhousie (born and raised in Atlantic Canada), Toronto Met, U of T and Osgoode (I’d say the last two won’t happen lol)

I was homeless for a point in undergrad which affected my CGPA, but I built it back up. I needed accommodations for my first LSAT but didn’t have a doctor’s letter on time. The second one I had an extra year to prepare and got the accommodations I needed. 

Worked 2-3 jobs at once during all academic years, volunteered, and participated in a few extracurricular clubs (VP of one).

Be honest but nice 🙂

Edited by CMacK
Forgot something in title

• CMacK changed the title to Chances? CGPA: 3.41/4.3, L2/B2: 3.69/4.3, LSAT: 142, 162
CMacK
  • Applicant
18 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

Can you convert your cGPA and L2 to OLSAS basis.

Whenever I convert it I get 3.4 CGPA and L2 3.55. 3.55 seems so low, but I hear OLSAS GPA can bring you down quite a bit 😕

Edited by CMacK
Idk just felt like leaving that out

CMacK
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, CMacK said:

Whenever I convert it I get 3.4 CGPA and L2 3.55. 3.55 seems so low, but I hear OLSAS GPA can bring you down quite a bit 😕

But looking at my transcript, it’s evident I have more As in the final three years than anything else, so I hope that doesn’t go unnoticed.

18 hours ago, CMacK said:

3.41/4.3, L2/B2: 3.69/4.3

3.41 /4.3 converted to 3.4  dropped by 0.01 only?

3.69/4.3 converted to 3.55 dropped by 0.14 -possibly correct

CMacK
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, luckycharm said:

3.41/4.3, L2/B2: 3.69/4.3

3.41 /4.3 converted to 3.4  dropped by 0.01 only?

3.69/4.3 converted to 3.55 dropped by 0.14 -possibly correct

I found the 0.01 drop strange as well, but that’s what the calculator tool said when I plugged in all my grades.

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but you need to apply more broadly, and if I were you, I'd retake the LSAT in October or November. You'll likely be rejected from Dal, Osgoode, and U of T with those stats. Toronto Metro, you have a chance, but from what I've read, their admissions process is pretty hard to predict. Look into applying for UNB, Lakehead, Windsor, uOttawa, uSask, Calgary and TRU. If you want a chance at Dal or Osgoode, you'll need to improve your LSAT, if not, the best thing you can do is to take the shotgun approach and take what you can get. Good Luck. 

• Like 2

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student

It sounds like you have a compelling personal story. Put a lot of effort into your personal statement; it will matter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CMacK said:

I found the 0.01 drop strange as well, but that’s what the calculator tool said when I plugged in all my grades.

TMU is your best bet. 

CMacK
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, lawandordermaker said:

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but you need to apply more broadly, and if I were you, I'd retake the LSAT in October or November. You'll likely be rejected from Dal, Osgoode, and U of T with those stats. Toronto Metro, you have a chance, but from what I've read, their admissions process is pretty hard to predict. Look into applying for UNB, Lakehead, Windsor, uOttawa, uSask, Calgary and TRU. If you want a chance at Dal or Osgoode, you'll need to improve your LSAT, if not, the best thing you can do is to take the shotgun approach and take what you can get. Good Luck. 

Thanks! I am retaking in October, but still PTing around a 162, so not sure how much hope there is there. My only hope for Dal is that I went there for undergrad and they like to keep people in the Dal community. My L2 GPA at Dal is pretty much their median (3.7, mine is a 3.69) so getting my LSAT up should give me a little push. I really hate the thought of living anywhere other than Halifax or Toronto, but I guess I’ll have to consider it a little more.

Edited by CMacK

Justiceharvey10
  • Law School Admit

Hopefully this post gives you some hope.

My cGPA was much lower than that, and I took the LSAT multiple times (highest was a 163), had some medical and health concerns throughout my undergrad and the LSAT. I got into Dal and Met. Put a lot of effort into your personal statement, have someone look at it (someone who knows about Canadian law school admissions), and capitalize on the LSAT jump. But like others said, try to get a higher LSAT for sure. Although, my other soft factors such as volunteering, work experiences (outside of the legal field) were strong, I think those factors make a difference. 

• Like 2

CMacK
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, Justiceharvey10 said:

Hopefully this post gives you some hope.

My cGPA was much lower than that, and I took the LSAT multiple times (highest was a 163), had some medical and health concerns throughout my undergrad and the LSAT. I got into Dal and Met. Put a lot of effort into your personal statement, have someone look at it (someone who knows about Canadian law school admissions), and capitalize on the LSAT jump. But like others said, try to get a higher LSAT for sure. Although, my other soft factors such as volunteering, work experiences (outside of the legal field) were strong, I think those factors make a difference. 

Thank you so much!!! I needed to hear this. It’s so hard to navigate where you stand in such a competitive pool. Good luck with your studies!!