Business Undergrad and OCIs

DonCorleone

DonCorleone
  • Law Student

I know that grades are the most important factor in predicting OCIs, but how much can a business undergrad from a good school help (i.e., Ivey HBA, Queens Commerce, Schulich BBA, Laurier BBA, Rotman Commerce, McGill BCom, etc)?

Telephantasm

My anecdotal (and some other's empirical) evidence suggests that MBA students generally do better during OCIs than non-MBA students with comparable grades. That said, I have seen no real correlation between an HBA or BComm and success at OCIs. The students who I saw do best at OCIs often had unique and varied undergraduate backgrounds, including music, philosophy, and health sciences.

• Lawyer

Davies is the only firm I've seen that does hire a lot of people with business degrees - especially Ivey alumni. But it is also a grades-heavy firm so you will need to do very well in law school to interview there.

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer

A bcomm from on of the top programs (for ex Smith or Ivey) definitely helps in OCI's. For example at Queen's during my time there (only a few years ago) pretty much everyone who had a Smith undergrad or was in the joint JD/BComm program landed at a Bay St firm. I also agree that Davies seems to hire a lot of bcomm graduates compared to other firms. 

You have two main advantages coming out of a bcomm. First and most importantly, you have tons of connections among future business leaders (for bus dev). Second, you understand a lot more about business generally, which can help when dealing with the facts side of files (but obviously doesn't help with the law side). 

Edited by QueensGrad