Interview Redflags?

StephenToast

StephenToast
  • Law Student

Hey y'all, I recently did an interview for a 2L summer position that left a bad taste in my mouth. The employer is famously busy, which I initially took as a good sign that I'll get to work on complex files and learn more stuff. I thought the interview went quite well on my end. However, a few things happened that made me question whether the lawyers there would actually have the time to provide meaningful mentorship to their summer students.

The office didn't "schedule" an interview with me. Instead, they just sent me an email with a time and date and asked me to "confirm attendance," which I felt was rather rude. The lawyers who interviewed me either did not read or have forgotten my application. For example, they were visibly surprised when I mentioned that I worked in a firm in their field and on matters involving their office as a 1L, which I clearly indicated on my resume and cover letter. (I thought that's what got me the interview)

However, the interviewers were very warm and friendly. Notwithstanding the need to regurgitate my resume at their request, the interview itself was very pleasant. They gave me assurance that I won't spend my summer working the photocopier and making coffee. They also stressed that they won't be expecting much actual work output from their 2Ls and they were much more concerned with teaching us skills and convincing us to stay long term.

Did I catch them on a bad day and am overthinking this? If I do get an offer, I'll have to forgo the Toronto OCI. This place is high on my list of places to work for, but not the highest.

Sounds like you met two busy lawyers.   

I wouldn’t read into the fact that they hadn’t reviewed your resume in depth, that’s not abnormal.

If you receive a second interview, go. Maybe the second interview will go better. 

If you get an offer, then worry about whether you should accept.

• Like 3

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

That's one of the nicer interview stories I've heard. It's also really normal for lawyers to plan things that way, as a student your schedule is way more flexible. 

A fun anecdote for red flags at interviews, I once went to an interview that was actually just a senior partner spending an hour telling me how much they abuse their articled students. His opening comment to me was articled students are like a cheap rental. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

StephenToast
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

You like the fact that the firm is busy, but don't like the fact that they were too busy to memorize your resume?

Fair point, now I feel very silly. I guess I was spoiled by the really really nice interviews I've had before that

Edited by StephenToast

3 hours ago, StephenToast said:

I mentioned that I worked in a firm in their field and on matters involving their office as a 1L, which I clearly indicated on my resume and cover letter. (I thought that's what got me the interview)

It probably was a factor when they first reviewed it, and they've since forgotten.

One of the things I hadn't anticipated about having a busy practice is that I can't remember who is who anymore. It's a side effect of having about 100 different files at any given time. There's just a lot of information swirling around in my head about different people, and I can be super engaged with someone while I'm dealing with them. But once a couple of weeks pass, that person will tend to fade into the background and I will need reminding (either by looking at notes or whatever, or them reminding me) who they are. It's even happened on this site. I used to be pretty good at matching pseudonyms to posting history. But now, aside from the longstanding regulars, I'm not particularly good at knowing who is who.

I don't think these are red flags. But they are something to consider about going to a high volume firm. Even for a committed mentor, the student might not be top of mind a lot of days. That doesn't mean you can't good training and experience. You can. But it will be different than at big, well-resourced firms where they have the ability to prioritize training. You might have to be more proactive in managing up. And you might not have their attention in the quantities and times you want it.

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 5

When I did interviews I always tried to read, and then refresh myself on, the student's resume. But it tends to be one of those things that keep getting pushed off, and if all of a sudden you get an important phone call 10 minutes before the interview, it can get lost in the shuffle. It doesn't really mean anything.

• Like 2

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Chiming in to say I don't see any red flags, either. That sounds like a good interview and as other posters stated above, I wouldn't read too much into them not memorizing your CV. Maybe it came off that way but they were really giving you the opportunity to bring it up and talk more about it. 

One of my worst articling interviews was at a big Bay St. firm. I was interviewed by three people, two first year associates and one third year associate. I don't think they had ever interviewed before, as the very first thing out of their mouths was "What do you want to ask us?" Every interview I've ever had - legal and non-legal - has started with the interviewers introducing themselves at least, if not the organization itself. I had to ask them everything, like "What are your positions here?" "Is there anything YOU would like to ask ME?" The whole interview was so awkward, but the worst part was the third year associate texting on his phone the entire time. He lifted his head up to shake my hand, then head down for the rest of the interview, until he gave me his card as I left. The whole thing was so bizarre that I figured I was a token interview at that point, but heard back from them later. 

• Like 1

epeeist
  • Lawyer

A years-ago and subtler (but I think more disturbing) red flag.

Not interviewing people in one's own office but in a conference room makes sense, you don't have to worry about accidentally leaving out a document with confidential information (if one's office is not perfect). Or in one's office is okay, if everything kept nicely put away.

But I had an interview in what clearly seemed to be a normal lawyer's office, if anything a bit nicer than I was expecting, and I complimented the interviewer on how nice her office was. She candidly noted that it was a special mock office used for interviews...

• LOL 1

• 3 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student
On 9/1/2022 at 9:29 AM, StephenToast said:

They also stressed that they won't be expecting much actual work output from their 2Ls and they were much more concerned with teaching us skills and convincing us to stay long term.

This was the part of your post that caught my interest for two reasons. (1) They are less likely to work you like a dog (as was my summer experience) (2) It would seem that they are trying to sell themselves to you, which indicates that see the relationship as a two way benefit (unlike some firms who seem to feel any student should be grateful for the opportunity to work their ass off for them).